What do you have to say?

A modest proposal: In my opinion, I think it would be in the best interest of everyone if the decision were made to take the football program down to the division 1-AA level at the

A modest proposal:

In my opinion, I think it would be in the best interest of everyone if the decision were made to take the football program down to the division 1-AA level at the end of this football season.

I’m an avid sports fan and a supporter of Temple Athletics. However, I think we all have to be honest with ourselves and admit that trying to run a major college football program at Temple is not going to happen. The worst part of trying to continue to do so is the fact that it’s not needed.

What makes this scenario even more appealing is the fact that the Atlantic Ten football conference needs a 12th member and Temple needs a football conference to play in next year. I’m not sure who is responsible for making this decision but I recommend that it be given serious consideration.

Additionally, a move to division 1-AA in football will help the overall reputation of the university. Believe it or not, many people around the country who are not familiar with the good works at Temple often make the mistake of assuming that a subpar football program must somehow translate to a subpar university. Be advised that this letter is by no means meant as a knock against the football players or program. It’s just an idea whose time has come. Again, I hope that it is given serious consideration.

Derrick Flowers
Alumni ’88, Columbus, Ohio

Thank you, Temple:

I think a thank you is in order for the Temple police officers who act as crossing guards next to Anderson Hall. Students are rather selfish and oblivious when it comes to cars trying to drive, and the officers are a sight for the sore eyes of the drivers who’ve been waiting in a long line down the block. Thank you! Also, I want to thank the Temple Grounds Department for making the campus look nice. Not only are they constantly driving around in those slow little cars, tediously getting trash and leaves off the ground, but the addition of fresh, colorful flowers around campus really makes a difference to this drab urban school. Thank you for brightening my day!

Autumn Raniere
Film and Media Arts Major

In Adamany’s defense:

I am writing to take issue with Torin Sweeney’s characterization of President Adamany as “missing in action.” While only a graduate student, I feel I can speak about this topic considering the president and I teach an undergraduate course together.

While I do not have the statistics in front of me, I am sure it is extremely rare for college presidents to actually teach an undergraduate course. However, President Adamany chooses to remain in touch with undergraduates by teaching them directly. This is important because there is no better way of connecting with students than to teach them.

It is interesting that Sweeney says college presidents usually make it a priority to have a “visible presence to students,” which includes “an open door policy, eating lunch in school cafeterias with students and going out of their way to make themselves available to meet and talk with students.” Though I do not have access to Adamany’s schedule and, therefore, cannot tell you how many minutes of each day he spends in the presence of students, I do know he makes every conceivable effort to “meet and talk with students,” and discern what issues and concerns they might have. Not only has he met with students in dorms and invited blocks of students to sit and socialize with him at sporting events, he also makes himself available by going exactly where Sweeney criticizes him for not going – the school cafeterias (this is more than rumor).

Finally, the time I have spent with President Adamany directly contradicts Sweeney’s claim that students do not know who he is. It is difficult to talk to him while walking to and from class with all the students saying “hi” or inviting him to some event (many of which he attends).

Sweeney is correct that college presidents, while notoriously busy, should remain connected to and engaged with the student population.

Unfortunately for Sweeney, the evidence is not that President Adamany is some hermit who hides from students but rather is both well known and well liked on Temple’s campus.

Kyle L. Kreider
Graduate student, Political Science Department

Letters will be edited for clarity and length. Submitting a letter is not a promise of publication, though we will try to publish all letters received.
When sending letters, please keep them less than 150 words and please make sure your name, major/department and e-mail address are clearly marked. Send all applicable letters to temple_news@hotmail.com.