What students should not do in the classroom

Get up and go to breakfast before my 8:40 a.m. class? There’s little chance of that happening. My mornings usually consist of rolling out of bed, getting dressed and grabbing a Pop-Tart before running off

Get up and go to breakfast before my 8:40 a.m. class? There’s little chance of that happening. My mornings usually consist of rolling out of bed, getting dressed and grabbing a Pop-Tart before running off to class.

My rule is, if I look presentable and my stomach isn’t growling, then everything is good. It’s completely ridiculous not to expect people to munch during class time – especially during typical meal hours – but how far is too far when it comes to class-time crunching?

There are some obvious, practical choices when it comes to eat-and-run, or in this case, eat-and-learn situations. Doughnuts, a breakfast sandwich or a bag of chips are all perfectly acceptable in-class snacks. Then there are the not-so-practical choices, such as a meatball sub dripping with sauce and cheese.

I know it sounds crazy, but I actually walked into an early morning class one day last week and almost sat down on a seat covered in tomato sauce. There was a meatball sub sitting on the table next to it, left unattended.

As I took a seat a few rows over, the sub owner came back with a handful of napkins, apologizing to his neighboring classmates, saying he hadn’t had time for breakfast.

In the same class, just a few weeks earlier, a girl sat down next to me, introduced herself and told me she had to “put [her] face on.” She then proceeded to whip out a huge makeup bag, jam-packed with what looked like an entire drug store aisle.

This experience could have gone unmentioned except for one small matter: She nearly spilled her liquid foundation all over my notes while trying to curl her eyelashes.

Is it really necessary to do that in class? Call me a nerd, but how can anyone possibly take notes while applying makeup? Classes are not a place to pick up dates, but if that’s want people want to do, they should make themselves up before class, not during it.

Aside from the fact that choosing to bring an entire meal to class is unprofessional, it is also rude and unnecessary. There are dozens of people in the classrooms, so before breaking out the fork and knife, people should get to know their classmates first, especially those that usually sit near them.

If the chocolate cake looks delicious, but the frosting is dripping off the side of the plate, try saving it for later.

No matter how hungry people can get, there are some times when waiting it out is the only option, and this include lectures halls. The room may be big, but those desks can be pretty small and close together, so juggling notes and a Big Mac is not an easy task.

Also, people should keep in mind that if they have time to stand in line and order something to bring to class, they also have time to eat before class. I’m sure the meatball sub sounded appetizing, but perhaps it might be wise to try something a little less messy.

And of course, there are always those certain days when people feel like they need to look a little nicer, but if someone spills makeup on my notes, they’re going to need more of it to cover up the sauce stains on their face after I throw that other kid’s meatball sub at them.

I am not saying that people should go to class, sit silently with their hands on the desk and take notes. There is nothing wrong with eating in class or putting on some lip gloss, provided everything is being done in moderation.

Inhaling a full meal and then flossing at your desk is not the best display of classroom decorum, and while that may seem like no big deal to some, others would rather not sit in tomato sauce.

Shannon McDonald can be contacted at shannon.mcdonald@temple.edu.