What’s cookin’ with Bri

Want some sweetbreads? They are awesome. A bit on the creamy side, they’re garlicky and crisp on the outer edges. Want a real party in your mouth? Pop two or three in at once to

Want some sweetbreads? They are awesome. A bit on the creamy side, they’re garlicky and crisp on the outer edges. Want a real party in your mouth? Pop two or three in at once to give all other food a run for its money. Let’s pause for chow time, and talk more later.

I’m going to be PB&J for a minute, totally straight up. This here column is all about the beauty of cuisine stretching from Philadelphia to the outside world. I think I hear the Hallelujah Chorus. I’m your classic food lover; few understand my unbridled passion. I was classically trained in French cuisine at The Restaurant School in University City. I feel like I’ve been to the culinary hell and back. I will try anything once. Not much can scare me now, especially since I saw what really goes into a hot dog.

I cooked at various restaurants and clubs and had a brief externship to France. I graduated last December and realized I didn’t actually want to work in a 120-degree kitchen year-round.

I turned down job offers (to the extreme exasperation of my parents) and decided I wanted to go back into the educational spotlight. I wanted to love food purely in my own way. Sounds more like a middle school love affair than a career path.

I am now at Temple as a photojournalism major. In the future, I would love to style and write for a food and wine magazine. With all those free samples, I’m so there. I’m a huge fan of the simply and expertly executed food. It’s quite a feat, so when you discover it, indulge without worry.

Izzy & Zoe’s serves up the most unbelievable chocolate chip banana bread pudding. It’s practically the size of a brick. Pair that with a bowl of their famous homemade matzo ball soup and you just may never leave your barstool.

Blindly pick something off the menu at Alma de Cuba like seared sea bass or the sharp grilled shrimp trilogy and you shall not be disappointed. The décor and indoor architecture is stunning and if you’re lucky, there might be some hot Latin beats to groove to that night.

Have you ever tasted duck? The place to go for that is Twenty21. Their herb-roasted duck coated in a tangy honey sauce is enough for a sumo wrestler. Don’t even think about leaving without their flourless chocolate cake. You’ll melt into it.

Time to grab something from the fridge, but I’ll be back next week with the best cheese you can find in Philly. About those sweetbreads I mentioned before … hope you love fried calf brains. Mmm, groovy.

Brianna Barry can be reached at bbarry@temple.edu.