What’s in store for campus next year? Find out

With the semester winding down to a close and 2007 quickly approaching, it only feels right to take a gander into the future to see what exactly is in store for Temple. Next year, construction

With the semester winding down to a close and 2007 quickly approaching, it only feels right to take a gander into the future to see what exactly is in store for Temple.

Next year, construction will begin at Alter Hall. Construction on the highly touted new business school building was to begin this year. The year is coming to the end and the only thing at the site of old Curtis Hall is a giant hole in the ground. The fact that this hole in the ground also happens to be in the middle of campus does not help things.

Curtis Hall was demolished with such haste that it seemed like Alter Hall would spring up overnight. If the money for construction was not secured, why was the ground broken and Curtis brought down?

In 2007, the Owls will win more than one football game. It may seem like a stretch, but the football team that was once the laughing stock of the nation is slowly improving. The team has shown some bright spots in an otherwise abysmal season, including a highly spirited homecoming win over Bowling Green.

As coach Al Golden continues to bring talented players into the program, the only place they can go is up and 2007 will be a kinder year than 2006.

In 2007, Temple will continue to strive toward becoming one of the more recognized schools in the country.

In the last few years alone, Temple has transformed from a commuter school to one with an on-campus population of more than 8,000. The School of Communications and Theater is becoming one of the more reputable on the East Coast and the law and business schools are highly regarded.

The university must stay on the same track. This is especially important considering that Temple is pushing their “New TU” advertising campaign throughout the region.

Temple has the potential to be great, but it still has a long way to go before getting there.

“I feel as though anything the university does to get the general student body more involved in the university community is truly a step in the right direction,” said Matt Seigenfuse, a junior who is heavily involved in the marketing of athletics to the student population.

“Whether it is with athletics, campus programs, or other organizations, Temple University needs to invest our money where it matters – in the student body.”

In 2007, Temple will realize that it needs to make some changes to the way it caters to its ever-growing on-campus student population.

The most notable instance would be the university- sponsored food service. With more and more students living on campus each year, the dining halls have become over populated.

A trip to the cafeteria in Johnson and Hardwick could lead to a fight to the death over getting a table. Temple needs to reevaluate the situation and expand the current facilities or build a new one.

Next year has the chance to be a wonderful year for students, faculty and everyone else involved with Temple. The school has to do its part to make sure that things keep looking up.

No matter how good things get around here, a lot of people on campus are still negative about the school. It is a wonderful time to be a student considering we are in the middle of Temple’s renaissance. Hopefully these glimpses into the future will come to fruition.

John Lamb can be reached at john.lamb@temple.edu.