What’s the deal … with Neal

If April showers bring May flowers, what does skillful job hunting bring smart seniors? Though it may seem far, May will come and go quicker than a SEPTA bus. After the graduation festivities dwindle, one

If April showers bring May flowers, what does skillful job hunting bring smart seniors?

Though it may seem far, May will come and go quicker than a SEPTA bus. After the graduation festivities dwindle, one thing will be evident: you need a job.

If you haven’t already secured a job because of a busy schedule or general trepidation, you should snap out of it this second and get started. These days, a college degree isn’t a one-way ticket to the job of your dreams. Catching that train is hard work. While looking for a post-college job, a loved one observed: “Finding a job is a full time job.”

Your college career has probably shaped your strengths and helped define what you want to do. If things are still vague, focusing on your goals is the first step to job searching. If you can’t pinpoint your strengths and weaknesses, this could seriously hurt your chances of getting that great job.

A well-designed résumé — outlining the most important aspects of your abilities and accomplishments — is still essential to landing a great job. However many résumés you send out or post online, it is important to cater your résumé to a particular company or organization as best you can. Temple offers workshops on writing a killer résumé and cover letter, and even offers practice for job interviews. Go to Career Development Services on the second floor of Mitten Hall for more information.

An internship or two that shows you have non-academic experience will please future employers, but making contacts, or networking, is also vital. We are, after all, the brilliant minds of the future. Enthusiasm and the desire to meet new people can open up doors.

Using the tools you have — the Internet, your teachers, your noggin — will help you achieve your goals. A wise man once said: “Some things happen because you are in the right place at the right time. Your ass on the couch is never going to be the right place.”

Neal Ramirez can be reached at nramirez@temple.edu