Weekly Picks

English Charm On Sept. 11, don’t miss the Wombats at the First Unitarian Church. Hailing from Liverpool, England, the three-piece band has a light-hearted, pop-driven sound that makes you feel young. The band is full

English Charm
On Sept. 11, don’t miss the Wombats at the First Unitarian Church. Hailing from Liverpool, England, the three-piece band has a light-hearted, pop-driven sound that makes you feel young. The band is full of energizing beats and cheerful melodies, which means there will be plenty of charming, awkward dancing at the show. It’ll cost you $10.

Talking Health Care
Most Americans, and almost all Philadelphians, are concerned with the issue of health care. This week, hear from two different political figures on the topic. On Sept. 14, listen to Sen. Arlen Specter at the Constitution Center. Head back on Sept. 16 to hear what Elizabeth Edwards has to say on the same issue. The two will likely present very different perspectives on the topic, which means you’ll have twice the number of arguing points.

Cheap Festivities
For those who want to relax without spending money, check out the River City Festival on Sept. 13 at Penn Treaty Park on Delaware Avenue. Featured events include live music, food and a 5k run (for those who want to exercise on their day off). There will be face-painting for children, but I’m sure they’d entertain college students too. The best part: the park itself is a beautiful site. It’s on the river, complete with a view of the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

Sam Weigelt can be reached at sam.weigelt@temple.edu.