Where you need to be…Translvanian Nipple Productions

As we draw closer to Halloween, usual not-so-spooky haunted houses and big, grinning, carved pumpkins seem to be popping up everywhere. If you’re tired of the usual Halloween activities, why not try something that still

As we draw closer to Halloween, usual not-so-spooky haunted houses and big, grinning, carved pumpkins seem to be popping up everywhere. If you’re tired of the usual Halloween activities, why not try something that still involves dressing up, but is a little more unusual?

Philly’s Rocky Horror Picture Show cast performs many shows every year as part of Transylvanian Nipple Productions. For each performance, the cast dresses just like the characters in the movie, and then act out each part as the movie plays on a screen in the background. It sounds simple, perhaps a bit boring, but if you’ve ever seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show movie, you know that things are never exactly what they seem.

Performances like these have been put on for decades and audience participation has always been a big factor. Audience members often dress up as their favorite character, or in any other gothic, fetish, or unique play-wear that they wish. While the actors perform, the rest of the cast and the audience shout out curses, insults and other raunchy innuendo at the characters on the screen. Throwing certain “props” around the room (but not at the cast or the screen) during the movie is encouraged as well.

This all may sound a bit elitist, but the friendly cast works to make sure everyone feels included, especially if it’s your first time seeing the show. If you don’t understand the way the props work, you can purchase a prop bag for $1, which includes many of the items that you’ll need and a list that explains when and how you should use them during the performance.

While everything is in good fun, this definitely isn’t a show for quiet, reserved people. If you’re not willing to be the center of attention at any point, are uncomfortable with sexual innuendo or aren’t willing to have an insane, transsexual “doctor” sit on your lap and sing to you, this might not be the best place for you. However, if you go into a show with an open mind and a fun-loving attitude, then you should do just fine.

To find out more about the Transylvanian Nipple Productions cast, crew and upcoming performances, you can visit their website at www.transylvanians.org.

Chrissy Reese can be reached at lolli.rot@temple.edu.