Which way is the Kitchen?

So, your fridge is empty and so is your belly? What to do? Do not panic. Here are some helpful tips that can tame your tummy and keep your cupboards stocked. When you are finally

So, your fridge is empty and so is your belly? What to do? Do not panic. Here are some helpful tips that can tame your tummy and keep your cupboards stocked.

When you are finally ready to be an independent person and have a place of your own, it can be a little scary not having your mommy’s pot roast waiting for you in the freezer. Well, before you contemplate hiding in the corner in a fetal position, consider some things you can do to be more self-sufficient.

First, you have to go to the grocery store. Nowadays, things can be a little pricey, so search your sofa for some spare change or grab some scissors and clip some coupons.

If you are a recent college graduate, chances are that you a bit strapped for cash. If this is the case, one of the best ways to save some money is to cook your own meals. But, to do this, you gotta have some kitchen basics.

• Bread — What would sandwiches be without it?
  • Milk — For best results drink straight from the carton.
  • Eggs — They are incredible AND edible.
  • Salt n pepa — Hold the Spinderella.
  • Cheese — Behold the power!
  • Meat and/or poultry — Unless you do not like food that had a face.
  • Veggies — They do a body good.
  • Fruit — Nutritious and delicious.
  • Herbs and spices — Bam!
  • Pasta — Simple, delicious and versatile.
  • Flour — Essential for baking.
  • Sugar — Makes everything better.
  • The National Inquirer — Because a man just gave birth to a 10 lb. baby in Iowa.

Once you have these ingredients you are well on your way to preparing a great meal. Here comes the tricky part: cooking it. This does require some skill. But do not fret, there are many easy and delicious recipes that are sure to please.

The Food Network is one channel that can be very helpful in your quest for a quick entree. The channel also has a Web site, www.foodtv.com, where you can access recipes and ask the professionals your culinary queries. Some other useful Web sites that may be of help are: www.eat.com, www.epicurious.com, www.recipesource.com, www.mastercook.com.

If that is not good enough, go to your local bookstore and pick up a cookbook or two. They are well worth the price because you never know when you will need a quick idea. Now you have the resources and basics to make anything from a simple grilled cheese to a culinary masterpiece like filet mignon. Bon Appetite!

• Be the first to comment