White’s the new black for fresh spring trends

As the mild winter seems to get milder, local boutiques are stocking their racks with the latest spring fashions. So, here’s the scoop on the latest trends. Simple and sophisticated is a must for women,

As the mild winter seems to get milder, local boutiques are stocking their racks with the latest spring fashions. So, here’s the scoop on the latest trends.

Simple and sophisticated is a must for women, but men can still embrace the vintage casual look according to style experts. It’s all about embracing femininity and going back to the graceful silhouettes of Jackie O.

“The boho look is fading out,” said Pamela Dollak, owner of Tony Boutique in Old City. “Dresses are definitely in.”

Michelle James of bShehu also said, “I’m seeing a lot of dresses with one-button jackets. It’s very feminine with a ’40s and 50s feel.”

While a full on outfit with heels and pearls is a bit much off the runway, you can try a fuller skirt instead. It gives the same air of elegance with a girly touch.

But if dresses and skirts aren’t your thing, tapered shorts may strike your fancy.

“These are very in,” Dollak said. “They’re like the Bermuda shorts of last spring, but skinnier.”

The overall look is very tailored with a soft feminine palette. Both Dollak and James said that white is the new black. White is the color of spring mixed with delicate and muted tones. Matthew Izzo will be carrying a new Donna Karan line, DKNY Pure, which features all whites.

“Last spring everything was very bright,” Dollak said. “But now it’s all about softness and femininity, so all the colors of spring are much softer.”

For the more casual look, T-shirts are always a staple. This spring’s take on the basic tee is tattoo-inspired art and gold lame fabric, and some have cap sleeves, emphasizing the girly trend. Ladies, spring is about cleaning up your look. Steer clear of the haphazard boho grunge, and try a more feminine and fresh look. As if women’s trends couldn’t be more prim and proper, the men’s outlook is also retro with a more lackadaisical feel.

“Men’s trends seem to have a vintage look to them or have vintage details,” said Mark Ax of Mathew Izzo.

Fitted jackets reminiscent of the ’80s are also making a comeback, and fitted jeans are a popular trend among various men’s lines this spring.

“Going away from the bootleg cut, jeans are more straight leg,” said Michael Anderer also from Matthew Izzo.

It’s a more skinny and more European in tailoring. Denim this season seems to be dark and also in darker colors like greys and blacks. Denim is a popular fabric for men’s spring lines. Not only used in jeans, but for blazers as well.

“The jacket is the new sweater,” said Amanda Lahey of Sparacino Mens.

The men’s palette is definitely bright. From vest sweaters to track jackets, the colors are shockingly vivid.

Sparacino Mens features a British line, Ben Sherman, and every piece is accented with bright orange, while looks at Matthew Izzo boast brilliant greens and turquoise.

As with women, T-shirts are a basic must-have. This spring, men’s T’s are about rock & roll, grunge, and layering, so don’t be afraid to pile on three different T’s. When shopping for new pieces this spring, remember to clean up your look ladies, while guys can feel free to experiment and embrace the grunge look a little longer.

Kaitlyn Dreyling can be reached at khd1217@temple.edu.