Wiki Whammy: A new Temple site will be slammed with feedback

Temple is in a self-reflective mood. It wants to take a look at what it’s doing right and how to make it better. And it’s asked its students to help out. As reported by The

Temple is in a self-reflective mood. It wants to take a look at what it’s doing right and how to make it better.
And it’s asked its students to help out.

As reported by The Temple News this week, the university has launched a wiki page, on which students can post their suggestions on how to improve Temple. This is a progressive step to incorporate the voice of the paying customer using technology to make the process easy and efficient.

We laud this decision because it’s an action that speaks loudly. It says that Temple is genuinely interested in what its students have to say. Furthermore, the administration is dedicated to making this establishment excellent, and just the way the customer wants it. Because that’s what we are – paying customers.

Right now, the wiki page is only for certain students who have been chosen by a panel of professors who worked with Temple administration to create the page. The creators have stated they want to test it on a smaller scale to see if it is useful before they open it up to Temple’s 35,000 students.

Open this wiki page up to the entire university and the responses will come flooding in. As can be seen with so many news sites and online forums, many responses are not constructive. We expect Temple will have to deal with a lot of that – angry students who simply want to curse out the university and people who are just joking around.

While commendable, efforts only go so far. It’s the changes that are made that will really count. What is the administration going to do with these suggestions once they are posted? They could easily be cast aside.

We would like a statement from the administration addressing these concerns, with a clear plan of how these suggestions will be attended to. Will they be presented to the Broad of Trustees or other pertinent leaders of this university?

It’s easy to say, ‘We welcome your suggestions.’ But actually listening to them is a different task altogether.