Will the real John Kerry please stand up?

John Kerry said in response to criticism concerning his refusal to fund a conflict he previously supported, “I actually voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it.” Meanwhile, Terry McAuliffe, Chairman of the

John Kerry said in response to criticism concerning his refusal to fund a conflict he previously supported, “I actually voted for the $87 billion before I voted against it.”

Meanwhile, Terry McAuliffe, Chairman of the Democratic Party, seems to have a whole lot of time to throw around unfounded, senseless accusations about President George W. Bush.

Their only reasonable explanation is that he doesn’t have much to say about his own presumptive nominee. Furthermore, he’s forced to walk on eggshells – anything Bush might say about Kerry was probably contradicted by the candidate at one time or another.

The manufactured enthusiasm about John Kerry’s candidacy demonstrates the hollow nature of his political persona. Anyone would be hard-pressed to find a Democrat truly excited about John Kerry. Any excitement at all is derived from the maddening obsession to undermine President Bush, and the consequent platform that is provided by an election year.

Still, John Kerry’s sickening sense of self-entitlement and severe lack of clarity on the issues makes him the poster child for the current National Democratic Party. A party willing to politicize the greatest conflict of our time, the War on Terror, and a party more tolerant of Saddam Hussein than George W. Bush.

Let’s Review:

Kerry’s Rhetoric: It’s time to clean Special Interests out of the White House – it’s time for a President not beholden to Special Interest money!

Kerry’s Contradiction: According to The Washington Post, John Kerry has received more money from special interests than any other Senator.

Kerry’s Rhetoric: Let’s show this President I know something for real about aircraft carriers.

Kerry’s Contradiction: Is that supposed to mean that John Kerry is tough on defense? The John Kerry that voted for the war and against the funding? The John Kerry who has voted against every major modern weapons system, many of which help keep our troops out of harm’s way?

Has Kerry even put forth a comprehensive plan to carry out the War on Terror? Oh yes, he’d repeal the Patriot Act. I know it’s hard to believe, since he voted for it.

Kerry’s Rhetoric: We were all wrong in Iraq. The President needs to be held accountable for his actions. He misled the American people into war. We need a new kind of multilateralism.

Kerry’s Contradiction: On Oct. 22, 2002, he said, “Let me be clear: The vote that I will give to the President is for one reason and one reason only, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction…”

In 2002, Kerry saw the same intelligence as the President and voted to authorize the President to use force – just as he backed Clinton’s 1998 bombing campaign of Iraq.

One can only hope that should there be a President Kerry, the Kerry doctrine of multilateralism will help the UN be slightly more successful than it was in Rwanda in the 90s, Milosevic’s Serbia, Hussein’s Iraq, etc.

Kerry’s Rhetoric: The No Child Left Behind Act is an abomination to public schools. A law driven by political purposes.

Kerry’s Contradiction: While that may or may not be, he voted for it.

These are just some of the major flip-flops from the highlight reels. The list goes on and on: taxes, health care, and gay marriage. If there has been an issue, John Kerry can point to one time or another when he was on your side.

That’s because this Senator has changed his position on every major issue of our time. Does he even have a position? Does he just not have the spine to stick to a politically unpopular position? Or is his primary position whatever is politically expedient for John Kerry at that given moment.

The unfortunate reality of the situation is that the real democrat in the race – the true liberal with the gumption to stand behind his beliefs – and the candidate who ignited passion into an otherwise lifeless party, is no longer in the race. The reason for that is because true products of the Democratic left, like Howard Dean, are unelectable.

They are out of touch, and out of tune. Four months ago, Terry McAuliffe was snickering at Kerry’s flailing candidacy; now he’s the toughest guy on the block, a la “Bring it on!” The truth is, John, we don’t have to. Your political record speaks for itself. As the President has said, John Kerry clearly has strong beliefs; they just don’t last very long. What more can be said? As the rhetoric fades, the real John Kerry will be left standing.

Terry Tracy can be reached at Ttracy@temple.edu.