Winning streak ends

Men’s soccer team drops 1-0 contest to cross-town rival.

The men’s soccer teams bid for a third straight win was spoiled by City 6 rival Villanova on Tuesday, losing 1-0 to the Wildcats.

With the two teams meeting for the first time since the 2009 season opener, the Owls engaged in a rugged defensive battle with a Wildcats team that has achieved a lot of success thus far in 2012.

“Being that the field conditions were pretty tough I think we played a good game,” coach David MacWilliams said.

Junior goalie Bobby Rosato, making his fifth consecutive start, stopped four of the five shots he faced. MacWilliams said before the game that Rosato will be the team’s primary goaltender for the foreseeable future.

“[Rosato] has played well lately,” MacWilliams said. “He’s won his [previous] two games and was our lone bright spot during our trip to California.”         

With time winding down in the first half, Wildcats senior Kyle McCarthy slipped a header past Rosato in the 41st minute for his first goal of the season. Senior Alec Weiss set McCarthy up with the assist.

The Owls had a chance to tie it with just three minutes remaining in the game when Jared Martinelli, fresh off his back-to-back Rookie of the Week honors, wasn’t able to cash in on a scoring opportunity in the 87th minute.

Villanova’s redshirt senior goaltender John Fogarty blanked the Owls, stopping all six shots Temple put on net.

“We had a couple chances where [redshirt sophomore] Chas Wilson hit the post twice,” MacWilliams said. “If those go in then we win the game 2-1. It’s a game of inches.”

With the loss the Owls fall to 3-4-1 on the season. Villanova continues it’s stellar play, improving to 7-2. After playing three games in five days, MacWilliams says he will give the team a day off tomorrow.

“The schedule hasn’t helped us,” MacWilliams admitted.

Temple is off until this Saturday when they take on Rider in Lawrenceville, N.J. as they look to climb back to .500.