With GOP in control, Bush has free reign

After last week’s historic midterm election, Republicans are in the driver’s seat. The GOP, already in control of the White House, have kept the House and regained the Senate. What a sad day for America.

After last week’s historic midterm election, Republicans are in the driver’s seat.

The GOP, already in control of the White House, have kept the House and regained the Senate.

What a sad day for America.

Now, John Ashcroft, with the Bible in one hand and a semi-automatic rifle in the other, has free reign over our civil liberties.

Now, George W. Bush can get cozier with CEOs, stack the courts with conservative fanatics, and lead us kicking and screaming into World War III.

Just when did the world fall off its axis?

When Democrats decided to play nice instead of push their party agenda.

When Democrats failed to debate the domestic issues that Americans worry about and that Republicans ignore, like unemployment, education, healthcare and taxes.

Tom Daschle and his cronies also didn’t push the fact that Bush’s war cries are without merit or legitimate purpose.

Instead Democrats sat on their hands, not wanting to be called unpatriotic again, while Republican candidates across the country waved their flags and used fear tactics like ‘terrorism’ and ‘national security’ as campaign slogans.

It worked.

Republicans now control the White House, the House and the Senate.

In the good old days, Bush was blocked by Congressional committees controlled by Democrats.

Now, he can get almost anything he wants through Congress.

You name the issue – judicial confirmations, war resolutions, homeland security – and Bush is going to have a much easier time pushing his agenda.

This was a non-issue election and a slam-dunk for the GOP.

But Democrats have no one to blame but themselves, they didn’t debate, they didn’t rally and they didn’t vote. And in the end it cost them.

It cost them big.

But the penalty is also great for America.

We now live under Republican tyranny, teaching us that elections do have consequences.

Kia Gregory can be reached at kgreg001@temple.edu