Women’s soccer season ends with postseason defeat

Temple was shutout by Southern Methodist 3-0.

In the first round of the American Athletic Conference tournament, the Owls fell to Southern Methodist 3-0 on Friday night in Orlando, Fl.

Following its postseason lost to SMU (9-8-1,4-5-1), Temple (6-12-1,1-9) ended its season on a nine game losing streak, being shutout by a combined eight goals to its last three opponents.

The Owls recorded eight shots and three shots on goal. Sophomore defender Kaylee Harner led the team with two shots and one shot on goal. In between the bars, sophomore goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff registered three saves.

The Mustangs won the shot advantage, recording nine shots and six shots on goal. Freshman midfielder Taylor Barg and junior midfielder Rikki Clarke each recorded a goal for SMU. Redshirt junior goalkeeper Lauryn Bodden recorded three saves in her victory.

In the 21st minute, SMU scored when a Temple player kicked the ball towards Kerkhoff and the pass bounced into their own net. Clark netted a goal in the 23rd minute, giving the Mustangs an early 2-0 lead that carried through the half.

Both teams were scoreless for the second period until Barg capped off SMU’s unanswered scoring run, putting the game out of reach.

Brien Edwards can be reached at brien.erick.edwards@temple.edu or on twitter @BErick1123.