Women’s soccer shut out at Princeton

Princeton senior midfielder Caitlin Blosser scored the game’s lone goal.

The women’s soccer team fell 1-0 to Princeton on Sunday at Princeton’s Roberts Field.

The Temple loss was capped with a goal in the 53rd minute  by Princeton senior midfielder Caitlin Blosser, assisted by sophomore midfielder/forward Lauren Lazo.

“I thought we looked good today,” coach Matt Gwilliam said. “Our girls were fantastic and we did well.”

In the net for the Owls was freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff, who started her second straight match.

Coming off of a 1-0 shutout win on Friday against Iona, Kerkhoff played the entire 90 minutes against Princeton, saving six shots while allowing one goal.

“She has done everything we have asked of her,” Gwilliam said about Kerkhoff. “She has stepped up when we asked her to and has done a great job for us.”

Junior defender Karly O’Toole led the Owls offensively with two shots. In the match, Temple was outshot by Princeton 18-7, as Princeton had seven shots on goal to Temple’s two shots on goal.

Temple now falls to 0-4-1 on the road this season, and 2-4-1 overall. With the win, Princeton extended its winning streak to three in a row, and improved to 2-1-1 on the season.

The next match for the Owls will be against city rival Drexel at Temple’s Ambler Sports Complex on Friday, Sept. 14 at 4 p.m.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu.