Women’s track leaves Georgetown with six gold medals

Owls take gold in relays, high jump, triple jump and shot-put.

Georgetown University’s Hoya Spiked Shoe Club Invite was the perfect preparation for the Women’s Atlantic 10 Conference Championships on Feb. 16-17, coach Eric Mobley said.

Tonney Smith was living proof of that Friday, as the senior middle-distance runner notched victories in the 500-meter dash and was part of a winning 4×4 meter relay.

Smith crossed with a winning time of 1 hour, 17.23 seconds in the 500-meter dash. The 4×4 meter relay consisting of Smith, freshman sprinter Demisha Davis, junior sprinter Ambrosia Iwugo and sophomore sprinter Michelle Davis Timothy won it with a mark of 3:56.95

Smith’s gold medal in the 500-meter dash was her first in an individual race this season.

“We had talked about her being more aggressive out there and she led that race from start to finish,” coach Eric Mobley said. “We worked on some race tactics and strategies in practice, but the main thing we stressed was going out and being more aggressive and leaving it all out there on the track.”

Iwugo later grabbed the runner-up spot in the 300-meter dash with a time of 39.94. Demisha Davis and Kenneh checked in with fourth and fifth-place finishes with times of 39.95 and 40.75, respectively. Kenneh also ran a 7.77 in the 60-meter dash, good for a second-place finish to cap her afternoon.

Though the runners had their moments, freshman jumper Jamilah Janneh made sure the field events would not be forgotten.

Janneh took top honors in both the high and triple jumps with jumps of 1.55 meters and 11.15 meters, respectively. Janneh took the high jump gold medal for the third time this season.

Sophomore thrower Margo Britton took the top spot in a shot-put event that featured only Temple performers. Britton threw for 13.51 meters in the win, while freshman thrower Alexis Kennedy (11.93m), senior Jennifer Abercrumbie (11.32m) and sophomore Kiersten LaRoche (10.33m) all rounded out the event with personal-best marks.

Senior jumper Tessa West added a first-place finish in the 60-meter hurdles as the lone performer, posting a personal-best time of 9.50.

Temple left Georgetown with six victories to its credit, something that Mobley stresses is the ultimate goal in any race or event no matter the circumstance.

“We always go out there and try to win,” Mobley said. “No matter the heat, race or flight, you try to go out and win the event.”

“One thing we always make sure to do is to stay mentally prepared and to go in there and compete,” Mobley added. “We need to be prepared as each meet goes on, one meet at a time and as long as we do that, we’re moving in the right direction.”

The Owls will head up state to State College next week to participate in the Penn State National Open Jan. 25-26.

Andrew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu or on twitter @daParent93.