Writers find their niche

All you writers out there looking for a place to practice what you love, as well as improve your skills-search no further. The Kelly Writers House, a nonprofit center on the campus of the University

All you writers out there looking for a place to practice what you love, as well as improve your skills-search no further. The Kelly Writers House, a nonprofit center on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania, is ready to meet all of your writing needs.

In 1995, a group of Penn students, faculty and alumni set out to create a venue where writers could practice their craft, participate in activities and interact with their peers. The all-volunteer staff consisted of only 20 people.

Since then the Writers House has grown into a considerable force on the Penn campus. A director, live-in intern, 15 student workers and a 90-member group of volunteers help to make the house what it is today.

The Writers House, despite its location and apparent focus on the Penn community, is open to students and aspiring writers from all over Philadelphia. It offers several different options for those pursuing careers in writing and those looking to take in performances from up-and-coming entertainers.

Each semester, over 150 different public programs and projects take place within the walls of the Writers House. On any given day, you can find seminars, film screenings, poetry readings and a wealth of other choices to satisfy any given interest.

The goal of the Writers House is a simple one: unite writers and performers with audiences that will appreciate their talents. It is a great forum to get your talent discovered, whether it is poetry, performance or almost anything else.

Faculty and students routinely attend the performances and poetry readings, but so do possible employers, giving those who are smart enough to utilize the Writers House the opportunity to make something out of their talent.

The house is set up with comfort in mind, as it is designed to make creativity blossom. A living room, dining room and kitchen are good places to meet peers and other writers. Seminar rooms, along with publication centers, literally make the house an all-in-one stop for all your writing needs.

Interactive webcasts are one of the big draws for the Kelly Writers House. These forums offer the rare chance to interact with famous authors such as John Updike and Grace Paley.

The Arts Café, set in a parlor section of the house, is home to nightly performances by musicians, actors and writers alike. It is the perfect venue to improve whatever skill you have in a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. It is a great place to catch some entertainment and relax, if you feel like watching rather than participating.

The wealth of options at the Kelly Writers House makes it Philadelphia’s premiere hot spot for aspiring writers, musicians and performers. If you want a place to hone your skills, meet people with similar aspirations and impress a potential employer, then pay a visit to the house. You’ll always be among friends, and the staff will help you with almost anything you could ever need.

The Kelly Writers House is located at 3805 Locust Walk on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. For more information, call 215-573-WRIT. Or for an in-depth look at upcoming events, visit https://www.writing.upenn.edu/~wh/.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu