Yann: Sensation and prestige for $3.75

The first few weeks of school are stressful. Summer is over, and in its place are problems with financial aid, housing and registration. Often the solution to these problems is a nice French pastry. Yann,

The first few weeks of school are stressful. Summer is over, and in its place are problems with financial aid, housing and registration.

Often the solution to these problems is a nice French pastry.

Yann, a café and patisserie at 122 South 18th St. near Rittenhouse Square, will give you just that along with sorbet, coffee, beverages, sandwiches and salads.

Paris born Yann Manchard opened the café in July after years of providing pastries from his Cherry Hill Bakery to hotels and airports in the region.

Yann rises early each day to live his passion.

Yann offers 30 pastries, and all are bites of heaven.

A favorite is the “Sensation.” Think of it as a cannoli, but substitute the cannoli for a flaky choux paste cake encrusted with sugarcoated roasted almonds.

Inside is creamy vanilla custard, topped with whipped cream and strawberries.

Tiramisu lovers will love the Yann’s take on the classic Italian dessert.

The serving size may not be filling, but the thin layers of espresso-soaked ladyfingers, chocolate and cream do not disappoint.

The dessert is sublime, with alternating layers of crisp, butter puff pastry and vanilla cream custard specked with vanilla beans.

Almond-filled croissants have been hard to come by in Philadelphia. That is, until now.

Yann provides a golden brown exterior with an almond filling that is neither too sweet nor intense.

Yann isn’t just a patisserie. The pastries, however, often overshadow the salads, soups and sandwiches.

Yann’s son, Brett, concocts sophisticated salad selections. Mixed greens are combined with fresh blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.

Thin slices of duck dance with mango along with vinaigrette.

Yann uses only free-range meats and organic produce, an added bonus for the health conscious.

There are also soups offered daily. The lentil soup is rich and hearty with notes of curry.

Most cafés serve prepackaged soups, frozen then thawed for customers, but not at Yann’s- everything is made fresh.

Yann offers a delightful pear sorbet.

Smooth and sweet, it is the perfect ending to any meal.

Lemon, chocolate and raspberry are also available.

If you’re not in the mood for frozen confections, try a Williamson.

It’s a delicious blend made from poached pears, billowy vanilla crème custard crowned with a pear glaze and white chocolate shavings.

Even though you might be unable to buy books because your financial aid has yet to be processed, at least you can buy a good meal.

So escape the madness of the first few weeks of school at Yann.

Indulge in a pastry and enjoy it at Rittenhouse Park, or stay, order a salad and hang out before midterms hit.

Amber Fairweather can be reached at amber@temple.edu.