The Temple News is celebrating its 100th year of publication! For 100 years The Temple News has used its editorial independence to serve as a watchdog for Temple and North Central communities. We’re celebrating our centennial by hosting seminars, speaker series, events, workshops and more, which will be open to all Temple students, faculty and staff. Register for events, find ways to get involved and learn more below. To stay up to date, follow The Temple News on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Donations

Donations are welcome in support of The Temple News celebrating 100 years of publication, which will allow our staff to continue pursuing their mission of being a watchdog for the Temple community. Please consider contributing to the endowed funds for the Editor-in-Chief position for staff in years to come.

Events

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Women in Journalism

Tuesday, March 29, 2:30pm – 3:30pm EST

Join The Temple News on Tuesday, March 29 from 2:30p.m. – 3:30 p.m. EST for a compelling panel featuring these prominent alumni journalists: Erica Palan, KLN ‘08, deputy editor, opinion at The Philadelphia Inquirer; Maiken Scott, KLN ‘97, host and executive producer of WHYY’s The Pulse; Gillian McGoldrick, KLN ‘19, Harrisburg Bureau Chief for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette; Taylor Allen, KLN ‘19, reporter/newsletter writer for Axios Philadelphia; and Layla Jones, KLN ‘19, reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer. These experienced panelists will discuss the impact of women journalists on today’s news decisions and how their storytelling can be used to improve how audiences trust the news. This panel will be moderated by Arlene Morgan, KLN ‘69, assistant dean for external affairs at Klein College, and Haajrah Gilani, assignments editor at The Temple News. 

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Entertainment Reporting and Industry

Thursday, Feb. 17, 4-5 p.m., EST/1-2 p.m., PST

Join The Temple News on Thursday, Feb. 17 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. EST for an exciting panel on entertainment reporting featuring prominent alumni in the field: Chuck Darrow, KLN ‘77, freelance writer/broadcaster; Alan Gasmer, KLN ‘80, co-president of Veritas Entertainment Group; and Irv Slifkin, KLN ‘80, author and adjunct professor. These distinguished panelists will discuss their careers covering all aspects of the entertainment industry from reporting, to business, to talent, and how the industry has evolved over time. This panel will be moderated by Maggie Fitzgerald, audience engagement editor at The Temple News.

Past Events

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Reporting from the 60s, 70s and 80s

Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 4-5 p.m., EST

Alumni Richard Leiby, KLN ’78, editor at The Washington Post; Ellie Fisher, KLN ’73, author and former United Press International editor; and Irv Randolph, KLN ’81, managing editor at the Philadelphia Tribune, discussed how they tackled covering the issues of their eras.

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Reporting from the 1990s, 2000s and 2010s

Friday, Oct. 1 from 4-5 p.m., EST

Pulitzer Prize-winning alumni Kurtis Lee, KLN ’09, national correspondent at the LA Times; Kristen Graham, KLN ’00, education reporter at The Philadelphia Inquirer; and Joby Warrick, KLN ’82, national security reporter at The Washington Post, discussed how they tackled covering the issues of their era.

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Political Reporting Seminar

Wednesday, Oct. 20 from 6-7 p.m., EST

Alumni Tom Ferrick ’70, Marsha Cooke ’87, Chris Brennan ’00 and Holly Otterbein ’14 discussed how they’ve covered politics throughout their careers.

The Temple News Centennial Speaker Series: Sports Reporting Seminar

Thursday, Nov. 18 from 3-4 p.m., EST

Alumni Kevin Negandhi ’97, Terry Taylor ’74, Ray Didinger ’68, EJ Smith ’17 and Howard Bryant ’91 discussed their careers covering sports and how the industry has changed.