Out & About: Performing arts take over with the Philadelphia Fringe Festival

The 2013 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, opening Sept. 5, offers a variety of options for audience members of all tastes.

From improv shows where none of the content is planned to full productions where performers have several weeks to prepare, the 2013 Philadelphia Fringe Festival, opening Sept. 5, offers a variety of options for audience members of all tastes.

In its 17th year, the festival has 16 featured productions and more than 100 independently produced programs throughout the greater Philadelphia area, through smaller factions of the Fringe festival in Center City, Fairmount, the suburbs and more.

Amongst the featured productions, many come to the festival from outside the confines of Philadelphia. “All the Sex I’ve Ever Had” comes to Philadelphia from Toronto. Produced by Mammalian Diving Reflex, this panel discussion will have Philadelphia senior citizens openly discussing their past and present sexual experiences with audiences. From Italy, “On the Concept of the Face Regarding the Son of God” is a theatrical piece that aims to make audiences question the concept of faith. Other featured shows come to Philadelphia from Oklahoma, Thailand, England, Norway and Greece.

Featured productions originating in Philadelphia include the dance shows “Hush Now Sweet High Heels and Oak,” “Moses(es)” and the plays “Pay Up” and “The Ballad of Joe Hill.” In “Pay Up,” by Pig Iron Theatre Company and University of the Arts, audiences will be treated to a choose-your own-adventure and pay-as-you-go approach to theater. Upon entering the show, which takes place in an eight-room warehouse, audience members will be given five $1 bills and instructed to choose five of eight plays to view throughout the course of their time there. Once audience members hear a bell, they have three minutes to decide which play they will see next and pay $1 to view it.

The Rainy Day Players, made up of Temple students, will be a part of Center City Fringe with the independently produced play, “Asylum.” The play received funding from a Kickstarter campaign.

For more information on the 2013 Fringe Festival go to fringearts.com and check back in with The Temple News for more Fringe coverage once the festival is in full swing.