Under the Radar: Color Me Rad, Star Watch, The N Crowd, SheUnited

Under the Radar for the week of Tuesday, March 19, 2013.

Color Me Rad Philadelphia 5K Registration
Register until April 5; Race is June 16
www.colormerad.com
$40

While most people expect to be a little red in the cheeks after a good run, have you ever considered crossing the finish line donned in blue, green, pink, purple and yellow?

At the Color Me Rad 5K, participants will finish with more than just a sense of accomplishment, but a new rainbow look. When runners cross a particular checkpoint, a new color is blasted on them. The color explosion is made out of a non-toxic, non-rash-inducing cornstarch.

The color frenzy doesn’t stop after the run, either – at the finish line, participants will arm themselves with “color bombs” every 15-20 minutes.

To prevent staining hair, the race’s website suggests applying oil or leave-in conditioner to light-colored hair. Sunglasses are also suggested, to avoid getting any of the cornstarch in the eyes.

The race will begin at the Please Touch Museum, located at 4231 Avenue of the Republic, and cover ground on South Concourse street, Landsdowne Drive and Belmont Avenue.

If you are wary about running but still want a part in the fun, Color Me Rad accepts volunteers to be a part of the Color Bomb Squad.

The run has more benefit than to just get a cool new Facebook profile picture, too – a portion of the proceeds from each city’s Color Me Rad race goes to a local charity. Some  of the proceeds from Philadelphia’s Color Me Rad will go to Special Olympics Philadelphia, which provides training and opportunity for both children and adults with disabilities to compete.

Registration is open until June 13, but the deadline for regular registration is April 5. After that, prices will increase, if there are still tickets available. Tickets for the Color Me Rad in Bethlehem, Pa., are already sold out.

For a peek into what you can expect, those interested can check out the race’s blog at colormerad.com/blog. Photos from former races and profiles of participants are available.

Star Watch
Tuesday, March 19
7:30 PM
Peace Valley Nature Center
170 Chapman Road
Doylestown, Pa.
Free

This event is great for anyone who has an interest in stars, is already knowledgeable about stars or wants to become an astronomer. Join members of the Bucks-Mont Astronomical Association as they take a look at the spring sky. Telescopes will be provided. To make sure the sky will be clear that night, call 215-579-9973 before heading out.

Improv Comedy: The N Crowd
Now through April 12
Every Friday at 8 PM
Actors Center
257 N. 3rd St.
$12 online, $15 at the door

The N Crowd is an improv group that performs mainly on audience suggestions. Audience interaction is extremely encouraged, which makes for a fun night for all. If you like to laugh and have a good time, then you’ll love The N Crowd.

Saint Joseph’s University SheUnited 2013 Women’s Conference
Saturday, March 23
10:30 AM – 5 PM
Michael J. Hagan ’85 Arena
2450 N. 54th St.
$10

This series of lectures and speaker sessions celebrates women. The sessions focus on healthy living, life transitions and more. Grab a few friends and head to the Michael J. Hagan ‘85 Arena for a day of celebrating women.