Hearts and crafts: Last-minute gifting

Unlike birthdays and Christmas, Valentine’s Day is not about buying your significant other what he or she wants. It’s about celebrating a relationship and expressing how much that person means to you. Sure, chocolate, flowers

Unlike birthdays and Christmas, Valentine’s Day is not about buying your significant
other what he or she wants. It’s about celebrating a relationship and expressing how much that person means to you. Sure, chocolate, flowers and heart-printed boxers are acceptable gifts to exchange, but where’s the thought in that?

Here are some creative gift ideas that involve meaning, little money and whatever time you have left.

Write a poem and frame it

Make it imaginative and meaningful, even wonderful and beautiful. When it seems a perfect fit, buy an arts-and-crafts kit. A frame is a must, if you’re looking for lust. So hit a dollar store, Rite Aid or A.C. Moore.

I Evol Oyu

What are the many ways to say ‘I love you?’ Learn to speak a few more at MyDearValentine.com. Give your ‘pookie bear’ a cassette or CD of you expressing your love in foreign tongues. This list would also be something nice to print out and frame.

Listen up

Burn a CD with the greatest love songs of all time. You can create a cover for the CD with photos and Valentine’s Day stickers.

Don‘t judge a book by its cover

If you want to a buy a gift that is cheap, meaningful and will strengthen a relationship,
a journal might be just what you’re looking for. Pick up a nice one at Hallmark, or if you can’t find one, a sketchbook or a regular notebook will have to do. To personalize this a little more, write an inscription on the first page or two.

You can write a letter, outline your hand or tape in some photos or old notes. The objective is for the two of you to take turns contributing to the book every so often. When it gets full, just reminisce. It’s a gift that can’t go wrong. Just make sure to explain while exchanging.

Best couple ever

If you have some old entertainment magazines scattered around, cut out photos of celebrity couples. For a greater effect, print them out from the Internet in black and white. In the center of a poster board, paste a big color photo of you and your sweetie. Place a banner somewhere with the words “World’s Greatest Couple” or whatever phrase you like. Arrange the celebrity couples around your picture.

Tissue Heart

The bigger the heart, the more time needed to fill it. You will need: paper glue, red or pink tissue paper, a photo of your choice, a pen or pencil with a flat end, cardboard
or poster board. Outline and cut out a heart on a piece of cardboard. On one side write a message and lightly decorate it. On the other side, place a photo in the center.

A symmetrical shape is best, such as a heart or a square. Cut out multiple one-inch squares of tissue paper. Wrap a piece of tissue paper around the end of a pen and gently dip the pen into the glue. Wipe off excess glue. Then stick the gluey tissue onto the heart. Repeat until the photo is surrounded by balls of tissue.

For best results do not scatter around. Start at one spot and place the tissue right beside the other. When finished, let it dry. Also trim if needed.

Anne Ha can be reached at aha.263@temple.edu.