Anderson back at Temple

Former wide receiver Robby Anderson has returned to Temple after dismissal from the university.

Owlscoop.com reported on Tuesday that former football player Robby Anderson had re-enrolled at Temple. On Wednesday, coach Matt Rhule confirmed the report and said Anderson has re-enrolled and is taking summer classes.

Anderson, who missed the 2014 season after being dismissed from the university for academic reasons, caught 44 passes for 791 and nine touchdowns as a redshirt sophomore wide receiver in 2013.

“It’s a school matter,” Rhule said. “Robby was never an issue with us. Robby has always done everything I’ve asked and it was more an issue with the school.”

The Fort Lauderdale, Florida native is currently with the team but his eligibility is currently unknown. Rhule said if Anderson becomes eligible, he will likely have one year of eligibility remaining.

“So he is in classes,” Rhule said. “We are hopeful that he can do everything he needs to do to play this fall.”

Anderson, who began his career at Temple in 2011 as a defensive back, redshirted his first year on campus and was later converted to wide receiver during his sophomore year. The 6-foot-3 inch receiver averaged 79 yards receiving per game and totaled 1,037 all-purpose yards in 2013.

He was then-freshman quarterback P.J. Walker’s favorite target in 2013 leading the team in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

“If he is able to play this fall, forget about his talent,” Rhule said. “He is a true competitor. He makes everybody around him better.”

The Owls’ passing attack ranked 86th out of 125 Football Bowl Subdivision teams last season. Only one wide out, Jalen Fitzpatrick, eclipsed 200 yards receiving last year. Fitzpatrick and Kenny Harper, Temple’s other top pass catcher in 2014, graduated and will not be back this season.

If eligible, Anderson will be able to work with newly hired wide receivers coach Frisman Jackson on replacing the production of Fitzpatrick and Harper — who combined for 70 catches and eight touchdowns through the air last season— and boosting the Owls’ passing attack.

“Now he will have the chance to develop under [Frisman Jackson] and learn the position,” Rhule said. “[Jackson] will do a good job of teaching him how to be a receiver, which is an important job.”

Michael Guise can be reached at michael.guise@temple.edu or on Twitter @Michael_Guise