First half woes doom lacrosse

Another rough first half plagued the Owls.

The first half has been rough for the Owls.

Going into Saturday’s home game against Delaware, Temple had lost three of its last four and in those three losses, the team has been outscored by opponents a combined 26-9.

The trend continued against the Blue Hens, as the Owls found themselves down 10-4 by the end of the half. Despite a much more competitive second, Temple was in too much of a hole, losing 16-9 and dropping to 2-5.

“We’re a second half team and we need to pick it up right off the draw,” defender Nina Falcone said.

“When you talk about getting out of the gates slow, we get out of the gates very slow,” coach Bonnie Rosen said. “We keep putting ourselves down a whole bunch of goals, not always the same way, but we keep doing it.”

With 7:34 left in the first, the Owls were down 10-2, allowing goals to sophomore midfielder Casey Lyons and attacker Shannon Hawley, two goals each to Delaware’s senior attacker Chelsea Fay and sophomore midfielder Alison Karwoski and four goals to Caitlin McCartney.

Temple played a much tighter game on both sides of the field in the last five minutes of the half, gaining back some momentum with a goal from senior midfielder Lea Britton with 1:43 left, and then another from senior attacker Jaymie Tabor with just six seconds left.

Temple’s more consistent play continued into the second half, but the Blue Hens was able to answer most of what the Owls threw at them.

“We seem to be a great second half team,” Rosen said. “But when you put yourself down a lot of goals you can’t win.”

Temple managed five goals in the second. Delaware came up with six.

Freshman midfielder Carly Demato recorded a hat-trick. Sophomore attacker Rachel Schwaab and sophomore midfielder Kara Stroup came up with goals in the latter half of the second.

But Hawley, Lyons and McCartney each came up with one more goal for Delaware, along with goals from sophomore attacker Kara Dattellas, sophomore defender Lizzie Duffey and sophomore attacker Lauren VanDaniker.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Jaqi Kakalecik played the entire game in goal, a first for Temple this season. In every game before, both her and junior Rachel Hall have split time.

But Kakalecik had yet to start a game, and Rosen thought the move might have been able to kick start the team.

“We’re trying to find anything we can do to get our game off and running a little faster,” Rosen said.

“We’re just trying to make things happen instead of waiting around,” Rosen added. “Rachel’s been solid for us and we’re still looking forward to her making strong contributions for us.”

Temple’s next game is Wednesday at 3 p.m., when the Owls will take on Hofstra at 3 p.m. at Geasey Field.

Nick Tricome can be reached at nick.tricome@temple.edu or on Twitter @itssnick215.