Lacrosse falls in semifinals

Temple lost, 15-13, to top-seeded Richmond in the A-10s last Friday.

The Temple lacrosse team allowed two goals in the final three minutes and fell, 15-13, to top-seeded Richmond in the semifinals of the Atlantic Ten Tournament at Duquesne University last Friday.
The Owls were unable to take advantage of a second-half surge during which they scored 10 goals and tied the game, 13-13, with 3 minutes, 29 seconds left.

Richmond sophomore midfielder Mary Flowers scored two goals in the final three minutes, and Temple was unable to answer. Flowers led all players with five goals.

The first half was a difficult one for the Owls, as they trailed, 2-0, within the first three minutes of the game. Sophomore midfielder Melissa Schweitzer scored two of her four goals in the first half, but the Owls were down, 7-3, at halftime.

The second half opened with a flurry of action. Senior midfielder Chelsea Rosiek won the first draw and found freshman midfielder Stephany Parcell for a goal just 24 seconds into the second half. The teams traded two more goals apiece, but the Owls scored three straight to bring the Spiders’ lead down to 9-8.

The teams continued to score goal-for-goal until Schweitzer scored her final goal of the game to bring the Owls within one at 11-10. Rosiek scored 34 seconds later, and the game was tied for the first time, 11-11.

The two teams traded two goals each again, and sophomore midfielder Kelsey Zenuk scored the final Temple goal to tie the game at 13-13 before Flowers scored to end the Owls’ A-10 Championship hopes.

Senior goalkeeper Jessica Colucci made a season-high 17 saves in the loss.

The Owls had several members named to the All-Conference teams prior to the tournament. Senior defender and co-captain Tracy Zimmer was named A-10 First-Team All-Conference. She was named to the Second-Team last season.

Rosiek was named to the A-10 Second-Team. She continued her great play in her final season with three goals and five assists in the loss to Richmond. She has 25 goals and 27 assists on the year.
Freshmen Charlotte Swavola and Parcell were selected to the A-10 All-Rookie Team. They each scored two goals apiece in the loss.

Temple is currently 7-8 and will play two nonconference games to end the regular season. The Owls will probably need to win both contests if they hope to enter the NCAA Tournament. The Owls will play No. 12 Towson on Thursday at 3 p.m. at Geasey Field. The game will be the final home game for the seniors – Zimmer, Rosiek, Colucci and senior midfielder/attacker Lindsey Colferai.

Joe Serpico can be reached at gserpico@temple.edu.