Owls shutout Villanova

Team remains undefeated at home.

Another shutout win at home secured the Owls’ fifth victory of the year, as they defeated Villanova 1-0 Saturday afternoon.

The Owls are now 4-0 at home, and all of the wins have been shutouts.

“I think we talk about it all year, you want to win the home games,” MacWilliams said. “To shutout the other team gives more confidence for us and that’s great.”

It was a tight game all across the stat line with 14 shots for Villanova to 13 shots for Temple.

The Owls were able to take the lead with a header from transfer redshirt freshman Donovan Fraser with four seconds to go in the first half. MacWilliams is pleased that other players are stepping up and scoring goals.

“Jared [Marinelli] didn’t have a great game today, and so we didn’t use him a lot today, even in the second half,” MacWilliams said. “It’s good that other players are picking up the slack and scoring goals for the team. I think it was great goal, an opportunist goal. [Jake] Lister crossed it in, and Donovan sacrificed his body and headed the goal in. It might have deflected in, but that’s what goal scorers do, they score when given the chance.”

The Owls return to action against Fordham on Wednesday at 3 p.m.

“Again I think we made the game difficult,” MacWilliams said. “We were defending a lot and they were serving a lot of long balls. We need to finish out the game by keeping the ball and keeping more of the possession. If we keep the ball more, then the opposition won’t have a chance to score.”

Hoon Jin can be reached at hoon.jin@temple.edu.