Community Voice: Recognizing the bigger portions trend

Waaesia Burch’s eyes bulged when she heard Starbucks was coming out with Trenta, its new 31-ounce cup for iced coffee and tea drinks. Experts estimate the new cup size could contain up to 300 milligrams

Waaesia Burch’s eyes bulged when she heard Starbucks was coming out with Trenta, its new 31-ounce cup for iced coffee and tea drinks.

FEAT.Opinion.commvoice
JOSH FERNANDEZ TTN Waaesia Burch, 25, said she thinks the United States needs to reassess its dietary portions to battle obesity.

Experts estimate the new cup size could contain up to 300 milligrams of caffeine.

“That’s a lot of coffee,” said the 25-year-old Community College of Philadelphia student. “It’s just ridiculous because of the amount of caffeine.”

Burch said she will not worry herself about Starbucks’ Trenta cup.

“I don’t drink Starbucks, especially because the coffee is over $3,” Burch said. “I prefer Dunkin’ Donuts or corner coffee shops where the coffee can be 65 cents cheaper.”

Burch added Starbucks was just “following the trend.”

“McDonald’s did something like this a while back,” Burch said. “I think companies in general are going in a trend the opposite of what we should be doing.”

Burch said food and beverage companies, such as Starbucks and McDonald’s, reflect the reality of money in exchange for unhealthiness.

It’s why she said she thinks campaigns, such as Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move,” which targets childhood obesity through creating awareness, encouraging physical activity and changing school’s food options, may experience difficulty getting off the ground.

“The whole campaign is good, but products like McDonald’s are constantly consumed,” Burch said.

“America is one of the fattest countries in the world,” she added. “Why would we keep going on this bigger portions trend?”

Josh Fernandez can be reached at josh@temple.edu.