Greek Showcase stops traffic

Traffic slowed on Broad Street as onlookers yelled out their car windows wondering what the commotion was about between Berks Street and Montgomery Avenue. With reasonably priced tickets, $5 in advance and $7 at the

Traffic slowed on Broad Street as onlookers yelled out their car windows wondering what the commotion was about between Berks Street and Montgomery Avenue. With reasonably priced tickets, $5 in advance and $7 at the door, many students came out and stretched up the block as they waited to get into McGonigle Hall for the 2007 Greek Showcase.

The Greek Showcase is an annual event that usually takes place on the Thursday of Homecoming week. It is an opportunity for the Greeks of the Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council to come together as one big community.

Hosts Augustina Warton, Christina Morgan, Tony Albanese and Devin Deshields went onstage to introduce the first Greek organization to perform – Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, the largest fraternity in the world, according to its Web site. They got the crowd hyped by performing a popular dance to the recent hit “Crank That” by Soulja Boy.

Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc., the first recognized Latin fraternity, followed with a step routine during which the members wore glow in the dark masks.

“I love my organization and our performance is going to be interesting for the audience and fun for us,” said Miguel De Jesus, senior Spanish business translation major and member of the Latin fraternity.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., owned the stage next sporting its sorority colors, pink and green.

“I don’t understand, I did not do anything to you, we can cease all the drama if you shhh!” was the rhyme they yelled while stepping in black pumps with 3-inch heels.

Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity followed with a dancing battle. The members break-danced, free-styled and looked like they enjoyed themselves. Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. followed with only two performers, but made its point nonetheless.

“This is fun because the whole Greek community is involved,” said member Augustina Warton, senior political science major. “We’re pretty confident about our performance.”

Founded on Temple’s Main Campus in 1992, Gamma Phi Sigma “Hermanos Unidos” Fraternity, Inc., entertained the crowd with its version of the popular Philadelphia-based dance ‘wu- tang,’ and the fast-paced steps of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc., kept the crowd quiet, which meant just about everyone was paying attention.

“We put a lot of thought into our steps and we’re very confident about our show,” said performer Mary Ann, a senior from Delaware State University and a member of the organization.

Known for their over-the-top performances, the members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., slowly made their way to the stage next with a ‘kappa-like’ stroll dressed in black pants, black button-up shirts and silk red ties. They artfully stepped with canes and gave flowers to a few female audience members.

“They were really creative and it was really good,” said freshman social work major Paris Williams, one of the lucky ladies to receive a rose from the Kappas. “I was shaking.”

Last to perform was Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., whose members counteracted the previous performance by distributing flowers of their own to the male audience members.

“It was really well put together, but I think the Kappas were the best,” said freshman public relations major Diamond Kirkland.

The showcase illustrated the togetherness and talent of Temple’s Greek community through stepping, dancing, rhyming and creativity. Each performance showed the originality of the organizations, and it provided for an eventful Homecoming Thursday evening out.

Ariana Smith can be reached at ari.smith@temple.edu