Men’s soccer match ends in draw

Both teams’ goalies stopped all four shots on goal they faced in the double overtime match.

Despite ending in a double-overtime draw, Sunday’s men’s soccer matchup against James Madison was a moral victory in the eyes of coach David MacWilliams.

“I don’t think we had our legs completely but this is a game that showed a lot of character,” MacWilliams said. “This is a game last year that we probably would have lost.”

Before Sunday’s game got underway, Temple received some disheartening news regarding their No.1 goaltender. Junior Bobby Rosato was confirmed to have a broken arm, an injury he sustained during Friday’s practice.

Sunday’s match-up was grueling from the get-go. Nine cards were issued between the two clubs, with each side receiving a red card. JMU sophomore forward Josh Grant was ejected in the 74th minute before Temple’s senior striker Homero Rodriquez was thrown out in the 97th minute.

The Owls’ defense did a stellar job in shutting down a potent James Madison offense. Coming off a 6-0 dismantling of St. Bonaventure on friday, JMU was held scoreless by Temple.

The best scoring chance of the game also belonged to the Owls. In the 96th minute of the first overtime, freshman Jared Martinelli drilled the post and missed just wide after collecting his own rebound.

Sophomore Dan Scheck will now takeover as the team’s new starting goalie, MacWilliams said. Scheck stopped all four shots he faced against JMU on Sunday, earning the first shutout of his collegiate career.

Though each team had four shots that landed on goal, JMU outshot the Owls 30-8 over the course of the 110-minute game. JMU redshirt-junior goaltender Colin Newcity also stopped all four Temple shots that landed on goal.

The Owls’ home opener is set for Sept. 4 against Manhattan at Ambler Campus at 3 p.m.

“We’re all looking forward to coming home,” MacWilliams said. “The guys are excited about it.” 

Tyler Sablich can be reached at tyler.sablich@temple.edu.