St. Joe’s sticks it to field hockey

The Hawks shut out the Owls, 4-0, in Friday’s Atlantic Ten Conference opener. Temple is now 4-10 overall.

A week off might be exactly what coach Amanda Janney and the field hockey team need.

Picture 19
TTN File Photo Junior forward Taryn Nichols fights for control of the ball in a game earlier this year. Nichols and the field hockey team dropped their Atlantic Ten Conference opener to Saint Joseph’s, 4-0, on Friday. The Owls have nine days off until their next game against Massachusetts.

After the Owls (4-10) shut out Penn in their last contest, they found the goose egg beside their name on the scoreboard. Temple dropped last Friday’s Atlantic Ten Conference opener to Saint Joseph’s, 4-0. The Owls now have a week off to try and solve the equation of how to consistently win.

“Any loss is disappointing, but a conference game hurts even worse,” junior forward Taryn Nichols said. “We were so pumped and excited for the game in the locker room, but we just couldn’t translate it into our playing. We have our moments of great hockey. We just need to put it together for a full 70 minutes, and that’s how the wins come.”

Temple never got off on the right foot, as the defense proved unprepared for the Hawks’ revamped attack.

Junior goalkeeper Sarah Dalrymple had a season high nine saves on 13 St. Joe’s shots, but the Hawks eventually piled up on her in the first half. St. Joe’s junior forward Jen Wrublesky redirected a shot from the point into the cage. St. Joe’s (3-7) found its passing game by dissecting the Owls’ defense. St. Joe’s sophomore forward Ellen Rowe netted the second goal of the game from a one-time pass across the circle. A little less than four minutes later, senior forward/midfielder Kellie Walter found herself on the scoresheet by banging in a loose ball. The Hawks heavily outshot the Owls in the first half, 11-3. The Owls drew three penalty corners, their one bright spot.

The second half proved to be more of the same, as the Hawks’ pressure kept Temple on its heels. St. Joe’s senior midfielder Jenn Schultz provided the final stroke with a goal at the 45-minute mark. The Owls did look better in the second half with six shots and two forced corners.

“Our loss yesterday definitely makes the road to an A-10 Championship a little more difficult,” senior captain Charise Young said. “We have over a week until our next game, which allows us to really focus and make changes. Our practices leading up to that game need to be at a greater intensity level to ensure our best performance next Sunday.”

The Owls need to figure out how to win consistently if they want to see the postseason. Nichols said she knows Janney will run tough practices during the next week at Geasey Field.

“This upcoming weekend is huge for us, and this week at practice we have to test our weaknesses to get better and really focus in on corner execution,” Nichols said. “That’s always one of our strengths. We’re such a close group of friends and teammates that if we stay together and practice hard, we can come out and win this weekend.”

The Owls’ next test comes against Massachusetts at noon Sunday, Oct. 18 at Geasey Field.

Christian Audesirk can be reached at christian.audesirk@temple.edu.