Kaiser named interim CFO and treasurer

The senior associate V.P. for finance and human resources will take the reins as interim CFO and treasurer.

Nearly two weeks after President Neil Theobald announced the imminent departure of the university’s executive vice president, chief financial officer and treasurer, Theobald announced Monday that Ken Kaiser will take on the role of interim CFO and treasurer.

Kaiser, the senior associate vice president for finance and human resources, will take on his new role on July 1.

“Ken’s extensive experience in finance means Temple will have a high level of continuity as we embark on our transition to decentralized budgeting,” Theobald said in a statement. “He has been involved in this process since its beginning and will ensure a successful launch over the next year.”

The move comes after the university announced earlier this month that Executive Vice President, CFO and Treasurer Anthony Wagner will be resigning at the end of June to become the executive vice president and chief business officer for Georgia Regents University and Health System in Augusta, Ga.

“Those of you who have worked with Tony over the years know of his single-minded dedication to this university and its students. As someone who has served as a CFO myself, I truly admire the work Tony has done,” Theobald said. “Tony’s leaving brings mixed emotions: While I am pleased for him, I am sorry to see Temple lose such a strong presence. I know we wish him all the best.”

Kaiser has worked at Temple for 20 years and received his undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as his MBA, from Temple. He left Temple for a two-year stint as vice president and CFO at Montgomery County Community College in 2005 before returning to Temple.

While Kaiser is serving in his interim role, there will be no replacement for his previous position, Kaiser said. There is no timetable for  a permanent appointment.

Sean Carlin can be reached at sean.carlin@temple.edu or on Twitter @SeanCarlin84.