This Thanksgiving, give back

There are numerous ways to donate food or volunteer in North Philadelphia.

Of all the municipalities in the U.S., Philadelphia has the highest rate of deep poverty – in other words, the most people with incomes below half the poverty line.

According to the Inquirer, this means that a family of three would receive about $10,000 annually, since the poverty line is $20,000 for a family that size.

Income statistics for the zip codes surrounding Temple are distorted due to the past decade’s uptick in students living near Main Campus, but it is nonetheless clear that there are plenty in the area who can make use of assistance.

In the spirit of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, that assistance should come from some of the most affluent  and able members of the community – students.

There are a multitude of volunteer and donation opportunities around  the city that can help benefit those in need in North Philadelphia.

Philabundance, which helps provide food for low-income residents in the Delaware Valley, has a Community Food Center near 6th Street and Lehigh Avenue that accepts donations. The organization also has a donation bin in The View at Montgomery apartment building. More information about volunteering and donations is available at philabundance.org.

The Church of the Advocate, which sits on 18th and Diamond streets, is holding a food drive in anticipation of its  Thanksgiving lunch for area residents in need.

Other religious institutions in the community are undertaking similar philanthropic endeavors, including Bright Hope Baptist Church on Cecil B. Moore Avenue, the Newman Center on North Broad Street and Berean Presbyterian Church on Broad and Diamond streets.

You can find more volunteer opportunities at volunteermatch.org.

The Temple News encourages its readers to offer some of their time – or money – to those in need this holiday season.