Club Sports Roundup

Ice Hockey The Owls had a high-scoring weekend, with 10 goals in the course of two games, including a 5-1 win over Penn State on Saturday and a 5-4 win over Pittsburgh on Sunday. On

Ice Hockey

The Owls had a high-scoring weekend, with 10 goals in the course of two games, including a 5-1 win over Penn State on Saturday and a 5-4 win over Pittsburgh on Sunday.

On Saturday, the Nittany Lions opened with a deflection goal, and the Owls couldn’t respond as they took penalties. The Owls pulled together in the second period with senior forward George Rutter scoring the team’s first goal on a wrist shot. Junior forward John Lober scored off a scrum in front of the net, and senior forward Ryan Frain would add a power-play goal to make the score 3-1 heading into the third period. Sophomore forward Chris Hacken and senior forward Jim McKenzie would provide insurance with one goal each in the third period. Junior goalie Will Neifield made 21 saves on 22 shots in the win.

Against Pitt, the team kept pace with the Panthers, thanks to a hat trick from Frain. Sophomore forward Joe Pisko and junior forward Taylor Lockhart would provide the other two goals for the Owls.

Up next, the team will have some tournament action when they head to Youngstown, Ohio, for the American Collegiate Hockey Association Division 2 Showcase from Oct. 15-17.

Men’s Rugby

On Saturday, the Owls mauled the Villanova Wildcats, routing them by a score of 101-0. Senior flanker Mark Transue scored four tries and senior second-row Brandon Butler had three tries to lead the rest of the Owls in the win.

Up next, the team faces St. Joseph’s on Saturday, Oct. 16.

Men’s Soccer

The team downed The College of New Jersey, 8-1, on Saturday. Senior midfielders Brian Weinhardt and Enoque Panzo each had two goals. Four seniors would provide the other four goals, with one each from midfielder Kene Nwanah, defender Johnson Tanyi and strikers Karl Verna and Blair Young.

Next weekend, the team plays two matches in Delaware.

Women’s Soccer

Not to be outdone by its male counterparts, the team had a blowout win of its own on Sunday, with a 6-1 victory over the Phillie Flames at Whomsley Field in Riverside, N.J.

Junior forward Jessie Fox and sophomore Kim Pohl each had two goals. Freshman forward Leah Salkin and junior forward Erica Sobotka each had a goal in the win.

The team played a game against Drexel on Monday night, where the results were too late for print. The Owls’ next two games will be on Oct. 17 in West Chester, Pa., where the team will take on West Chester and Towson.

Bowling

This past weekend, the team competed in the Blue Hen Open in Wilmington, Del. It was the team’s first tournament since the club folded after the 2008-09 season.

In team play, the team finished 13th out of 22 teams. In baker play – where five bowlers bowl in a game, alternating in frames one through five and repeating in frames six through 10 – the team finished in 12th place, giving it 60 points in the collegiate branch of the United States Bowling Congress standings.

Individually, sophomore Jake Adams led the team by bowling a 1,061 series in six games to finish 24th overall, and junior Lamar Richardson finished in 30th with a 1,024.

Next weekend, the team will compete in the Shippensburg Classic in Mechanicsburg, Pa.

-Brian Dzenis

[Full disclosure: Club bowling team president Jake Adams is a writer for The Temple News.]