Edghill receives A-10 Track Performer of the Week honors

Marcos Edghill has been one of the more consistent athletes on the track and field team since making his debut for the Owls during the 2004-05 indoor season. Now, the senior is being recognized for

Marcos Edghill has been one of the more consistent athletes on the track and field team since making his debut for the Owls during the 2004-05 indoor season. Now, the senior is being recognized for his hard work and conference-wide success.

Edghill, a sprinter and hurdler, was named the Atlantic Ten Conference Men’s Track Performer of the Week on Jan. 14 after registering impressive times at the Jack Pyrah and Princeton Invitationals and most recently at the Penn State Relays. This was the first time the runner has been honored by the conference.

At Penn State, Edghill qualified for the IC4A Championship in two events. In the 55m dash, he finished second with a time of 6.47 and fifth in the 55m hurdles with a time of 7.65, setting career and Temple-season bests in the process.

Edghill is the first Temple athlete to be recognized as A-10 Track Performer of the Week since Dec. 11, 2006, when Josue Louis was honored with the award as a sophomore. Erin Davis was the last female to be named A-10 Track Performer of the Week when she was honored as a junior on Dec. 12, 2005.

Edghill found out about the achievement when coach Stefanie Scalessa announced it to the team at practice.

“I think he was proud when he found out,” Scalessa said. “This shows that when anybody works hard, it can pay off.”

Scalessa said she is also optimistic that with growth from her young team, more A-10 Track Performer of the Week honors will be given out in the future. However, Scalessa is more concerned with the season than any individual awards.

“I think we got a good start to the indoor season and are going in the right direction,” Scalessa said.

However, she cautions that the team still has “a long way to go” and cannot be “overly confident.”

Kevin Smiley can be reached at kevin.smiley@temple.edu.