Field hockey takes care of Radford 5-1

Five different Owls score in 5-1 win against Radford.

After starting off Atlantic 10 Conference play with a win Friday, the field hockey team completed a 5-1 win against Radford today.

The Owls jumped on Radford early with a goal by senior midfielder Katie Briglia in the first 13 seconds of the game.

“We challenged the girls to score within the first five minutes,” coach Amanda Janney said. “I can’t believe we scored in the first minute of the game, and I’m really excited about that.”

Temple struck again in the 11th minute with an unassisted goal by sophomore forward Amber Youtz.

“I wanted [Youtz] to score a lot of goals today,” Janney said. “But it was a great team effort, we had a lot of different people play different positions and they did great.”

The Highlanders responded with a goal of their own only seconds after Youtz’s goal.

Freshman forward Jana Bayer scored her third goal of the season on an assist from freshman forward Ashton Cox.

Bayer’s goal was the last offense that Radford would be able to muster up. The Highlanders were outshot 26-3, and had one penalty corner in the game.

For the Owls, junior defender Molly Doyle scored her first goal since her freshman season.

“It was really nice to score,” Doyle said. “But I’m a defender and I like to make my teammates look good and try to set them up for goals, but it’s always nice to score a goal.”

After Doyle’s score midway through the first half, freshman forward Erin VanHorn scored her first collegiate goal off a rebounded shot.

Janney said that getting younger players in the action helps the team in the future.

“[Vanhorn] is a scrappy player that has been injured,” Janney said. “Now that she’s able to play again to she her start scoring goals is big for us.”

With the win, Temple improves to 8-6 overall, and Janney said having a winning record this year is a serious goal.

“It’s been a goal to finish the season with a winning record,” Janney said. “It’s something we’ve talked about since day one in preseason. It’s a team goal and I’m glad we’re accomplishing it right now.”

Next Friday the Owls will be traveling to City Six rival LaSalle.

The Explorers have a 6-7 record will be looking to earn their second A-10 win against Temple.

“We want to keep the level of intensity up this weekend,” Janney said. “We want to make sure that entering this weekend we have more moments of greatness.”

Colin Tansits can be reached at colin.tansits@temple.edu or on Twitter @colin_tansits.