Owls drop three in season-opening tournament

The Owls went 2-3 in a tournament in South Carolina. Coach Joe DiPietro was not happy with the softball team’s performance this past weekend at the Chanticleer Challenge at Coastal Carolina, S.C. “It was very

The Owls went 2-3 in a tournament in South Carolina.

Coach Joe DiPietro was not happy with the softball team’s performance this past weekend at the Chanticleer Challenge at Coastal Carolina, S.C.

“It was very disappointing,” DiPietro said. “We played nowhere near our potential.”

The Owls came out of the five-game showcase with a 2-3 record, splitting games with Indiana University–Purdue University Fort Wayne [IPFW] and defeating Sacred Heart, while losing two games to Coastal Carolina by a combined score of 11-0.

Sophomores, pitcher Brooklin White and catcher/first baseman Stephanie Pasquale, led the Owls, with White recording two wins on the mound and Pasquale lacing three doubles for the weekend.

The weekend was highlighted by a 12-2 victory against Sacred Heart where the Temple offense provided 12 runs on 16 hits.

“We played how we were capable of against Sacred Heart, but we need to find consistency,” DiPietro said.

The Owls, who returned eight starters, struggled to find offense and were shut out in each of their loses.

“We played good defense, but we just had no consistency on offense and we simply didn’t play to our potential,” DiPietro said.

Coming up next for the Owls is the Citrus Classical in Orlando, Fla. This tournament features several strong programs, including No. 32 Purdue and No. 12 Michigan.

With a raised level of competition, DiPietro said that he knows that the team will have to play better and find a way to manufacture runs.

“With five games under our belt, I’m hoping that the experience will help raise our level of competitiveness,” DiPietro said.

Colin Tansits can be reached at colin.tansits@temple.edu.