American Hi-Fi to perform in Philly

Coming off the heels of their smash-hit debut, American Hi-Fi have returned with The Art of Losing. The album is chock-full of fist-pumping anthems bursting with energy. American Hi-Fi recently hit the road in support

Coming off the heels of their smash-hit debut, American Hi-Fi have returned with The Art of Losing.

The album is chock-full of fist-pumping anthems bursting with energy.

American Hi-Fi recently hit the road in support of their sophomore album. The band will swing by Philly’s TLA tonight.

The group, singer Stacy Jones, guitarist Jamie Arentzen, drummer Brian Nolan and bassist Drew Parsons, will snarl and snicker their way through cuts off their new disc, as well as their self-titled debut.

Inspired by ’80s hair bands like Motley Crue and White Lion, the band began playing around the Boston area before hooking up with producer Bob Rock, who decided to produce the group’s first album after only witnessing one gig.

Released in early 2001, American Hi-Fi immediately caught public attention with its arena-sized choruses and catchy guitar hooks.

The album rocketed up the charts, thanks to the successful and delightfully catchy single “Flavor of the Week.”

Rather than stick with the more polished sound of their debut, The Art of Losing lets loose with a fresher and livelier feeling.

The exuberance and youthful energy remain intact but with a grittier and heavier backbone.

Tracks like “The Art of Losing,” “The Breakup Song,” “Beautiful Disaster” and “Save Me” capture the rebellious attitude and energy found on any Cheap Trick or Dokken album.

On Feb. 27, American Hi-Fi will be performing at the TLA, 334 South St. For more information or tickets call 215-336-2000.

Dustin Schoof can be reached at schoofy@att.net