Around the world, back to Temple

Temple has long been a nest of tradition and excellence in basketball. From the numerous trips the men’s team has made, to the NCAA Championships, to area teams like the 76ers hosting a preseason game

Temple has long been a nest of tradition and excellence in basketball. From the numerous trips the men’s team has made, to the NCAA Championships, to area teams like the 76ers hosting a preseason game on campus this past year, Temple is a hotbed of everything basketball.

This March, the Harlem Globetrotters return to the Liacouras Center for a third straight year. The original kings of basketball comedy have earned their rightful place among basketball’s most elite teams as people across America fight for tickets to see the Globetrotters’ one-of-a-kind skills on the court.

Ron Rollerson, a former center for Temple who graduated in 2002, will be one of the players taking center court. Rollerson joined the Globetrotters for the 2003-2004 season. With both skill and size, he led the team with the highest field goal percentages, blocked shots and tied for the lead in rebounding.

Averaging 9.9 points per game, Rollerson was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 Fall College Tour for his contributions in preseason games against Syracuse and Michigan State University. This March will be his first appearance at the Liacouras Center since he wore Temple’s colors.

As a Globetrotter, Rollerson will join the team in touring the country and playing exhibition games against college teams and other independents. Mannie Jackson’s Harlem Globetrotters is a team of successful college athletes who have chosen to showcase their talent through a venue other than the NBA. As part of the team, the players receive world-wide attention and acclaim.

The Globetrotters have entertained more than 120 million fans in 115 different countries. Since 1927, the team has delighted audiences with their unique brand of basketball, incorporating elaborate ball-handling sequences and awkward shots that somehow find the basket.

Shows are fast-paced, exciting and fun for everyone including preschoolers, college students and even parents.

As an American tradition, the team is constantly touring and wowing fans across the country. This year’s trip to the Philly area includes stops at the Liacouras Center. and the Wachovia Center.

The tour, dubbed “The Bigger, Better, and More Fun” show, will feature the same tried-and-true gimmicks the team is famous for, as well as some exciting new twists. The dunks, amazing shots and unbelievable acts of ball-handling will be the focus of the pre-game activities.

The fun continues off-court as The Flying Mapapas, a group of talented Kenyan acrobats, perform before the game and during breaks. The all-out show-stopping antics before, during and after the game make this a hot ticket for a basketball-crazy city like Philadelphia.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu