Ballot box chatter

Local elections may not be as riveting as presidential elections, but the events of last November have revitalized the importance of voting.

Various candidates are running for positions in the court system. Local elections may not be as riveting as presidential elections, but the events of last November have revitalized the importance of voting.
Unfortunately, there are still a number of negative beliefs about voting. jillian weir-reeves

“People believe that their vote doesn’t really count,” political science professor Christopher Wlezien said. “The 2000 election was a very bad experience. People are disengaged, and you have to engage them.”

Ideas like those that stemmed from the 2000 presidential election completely contradict the notion that there is strength in numbers or that together we can make a change. When hope in the political process is evaporated, there is no motivation to vote.

Lack of participation can also be traced back to a lack of understanding.

“Voters tend to be under informed,” political science professor Robert Brown said. “In Pennsylvania, there is not proper voter education. They do not know what’s going to happen when they vote, so there is no incentive.”

Without being provided the proper information on the effects of voting, citizens are simply disinterested.
Other times, lifestyles may be the determining factor, Jason Tucker, who attends the Beasley School of Law, said.

“Law students are more informed about elections and attempt to make strides,” Tucker said, “but I am busy, so it’s not a priority.”

There are approximately 1,517,550 residents of Philadelphia, and voting in a local election may have a greater impact on those residents than voting on the national level. It is important we understand the significance, impact and opportunity that a local election possesses.

Jillian Weir-Reeves can be reached at jillian.weir-reeves@temple.edu.