Bar and grill brightens Liacouras Walk

When Temple students wanted a taste of fine dining, it used to involve a trip down to one of the overpriced, and often overrated, restaurants in Center City. The Draught Horse has long been Temple’s

When Temple students wanted a taste of fine dining, it used to involve a trip down to one of the overpriced, and often overrated, restaurants in Center City.

The Draught Horse has long been Temple’s college pub, but the atmosphere makes it less than desirable for a date or an important dinner with family or colleagues. But Cartucci’s is a refined establishment Temple can call its own.

Since its opening a few months ago, Cartucci’s Bar and Grill has established itself as a perfect spot for more elegant dining at a price that anyone can afford. It has become the perfect place for students who want a more refined choice for dinner — and the low prices are just the beginning.

The atmosphere is low-key, allowing for a more relaxing dinner than one would experience at a sports bar. Interesting art deco accents make the restaurant seem inviting and gives the restaurant an offbeat appeal.

Two plasma screens are constantly displaying the biggest game of the day, and music politely accompanies the ambient noise in the background. It is a warm and inviting place in which to spend an evening.

The dress is casual, but dressier clothes would be appropriate as well. Either way, comfort is the essence of the restaurant. Cartucci’s would be the perfect place for a dinner with visiting family members or a casual date.

The food, like the restaurant itself, revels in simplicity, with a little bit of flair tossed in to add some life to the menu. Sandwiches, all of which are priced at $7, range from a good old-fashioned cheeseburger, grilled chicken to more exotic choices that satisfy every taste. Appetizers are abundant and also priced moderately.

Entrees are available for lunch or dinner, with different portions and different costs, depending on the time of day. Choices include standard American fare, such as pasta, chicken and steak.

This food is well-prepared, and special requests are made with ease; food is prepared the way you like it, even if it’s not on the menu. Service is also one of the strong points of Cartucci’s. The staff is courteous and incredibly accommodating when it comes to getting food to you in a timely manner.

Cartucci’s isn’t just a sit-down restaurant, either. Sandwiches are available to go all day. The speedy service and the fact that Diamond Dollars are accepted are definitely a big plus.

Although $7 may seem a bit more than other lunch locations on campus charge for a sandwich, the deficit is more than made up for in the amount of food you get, as well as the quality.

The combination of moderate prices, an inviting atmosphere and a central location make Cartucci’s the clear choice for excellent dining at Temple. Located in the center of Liacouras Walk, it is accessible at any time of day for a quick lunch, cup of coffee or a relaxed dinner.

If you want a quiet, classy and affordable place to enjoy a nice meal, give Cartucci’s a try. It is sure to become Temple’s favorite new spot for dining in style.

Ross Bercik can be reached at rbercik@temple.edu