Beyond the V-day hype

As stores begin to stock their shelves with Valentine’s Day greeting cards, as flower shops start filling orders for red roses, and as candy stores sell out of chocolate covered anything, it is extremely difficult

As stores begin to stock their shelves with Valentine’s Day greeting cards, as flower shops start filling orders for red roses, and as candy stores sell out of chocolate covered anything, it is extremely difficult not to get caught up in the festivities surrounding Valentine’s Day.

One could easily boycott the holiday and claim that it is just another way for the greeting card companies to rip off their customers, or one could reap the full benefits of Feb. 14 by giving gifts, candy or just plain love.

Temple University freshman Jen Hendriksen felt somewhat indifferent about this love-filled holiday.

“Sure, when you’re in a relationship, Valentine’s Day is great and all,” Hendriksen said.

“I mean all of the presents and spending time with someone you care about is fantastic, but when you’re single, Valentine’s Day is just a reminder of how incredibly single you really are.”

Temple freshman Julie Quattrone said she felt the same way, but in her case it’s her reaction to the hype that makes Valentine’s Day just fine for her.

“At first Valentine’s Day is just another day for me until I see that first girl get a dozen roses. After that I just make the best of the day by giving out my cute little Lilo and Stitch cards to my friends,” said Quattrone.

Was this holiday just created to make single gals and guys green with envy at every lovey-dovey couple they see?

Well, maybe.

Rory Davis, a Temple junior shared in this sentiment.

“Ah, Valentine’s Day. Everyone I know gets so panicked every year, rushing out to buy candy and cards, etc. I think the point of Valentine’s Day is just to make single people feel like there is something wrong with them. I have someone called my ‘Forever Valentine’ -my friend Sara. We just refer to each other as our Valentines, so that when V-Day rolls around, we at least have each other,” Davis said.

“They should have an anti-Valentine’s Day, so that everyone who is single can celebrate. That way, we could make those who are romantically involved feel jealous.”

That might not be a bad idea.

It could be the day after Valentine’s Day and all the single people out there could be the center of attention.

It seems that to the average college student, Cupid is right up there with Santa Claus, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

If you look past all the hype, Valentine’s Day is all about one thing –love.

If you need to, find your own “Forever Valentine” and share your love with that person.

When it comes right down to it, who couldn’t use a little extra love?

Christine Olley can be reached at Molley@temple.edu.