Bill Cosby’s fireside chat with College of Education postponed

Today’s ‘fireside chat,’ a forum for Temple education students to learn about issues facing future teachers – and highlighted by an appearance by university alumnus Bill Cosby – has been postponed. Cosby had another scheduled

Today’s ‘fireside chat,’ a forum for Temple education students to learn about issues facing future teachers – and highlighted by an appearance by university alumnus Bill Cosby – has been postponed.

Cosby had another scheduled event, according to Valerie Gay, director of Temple’s Development and Alumni Affairs. He asked for the event to go on as scheduled – without him – so a dialogue could be developed anyway, but plans to cancel the event were already underway, Gay added.

Cosby wants the events to be less about him than about the prospective teachers, she said.

Today’s event was scheduled for 4 p.m. and to be held in a room of the Liacouras Center. Another chat scheduled for April is still expected to run, in addition to another that might be added in March to replace this.

This was the second in this fireside series.

In other recent news, Cosby has announced his plans to release a rap album criticizing the genre, as reported by The Temple News.

Last fall, Cosby co-authored a book – called ‘Come on People’ – which offered his views and critiques of black American culture, a book reviewed by The Temple News.

He made a series of highly publicized media appearances to discuss the book, in conjunction with speaking on the issues he feels plague the black community, including an Oct. 18 plug on Larry King Live and one on Meet the Press on Oct. 14.

Cosby’s Temple appearances have been sporadic of late. He has not appeared at a Temple graduation ceremony or held his once-thought-to-be annual “Cosby 101” since January 2004 allegations that he sexually harassed a former Temple employee.

Christopher Wink can be reached at cwink@temple.edu.