Brewer leads Owls to shoot-out win

Dave Brewer scored three goals, including the game’s shoot-out winner, to lead the Owls to a 6-5 win against Liberty.

The ice hockey club defeated Liberty 6-5 in a shootout at the Northeast Skate Zone on Nov. 9.

The Owls were led by the stellar play of freshmen forward Dave Brewer. Brewer, a transfer from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, scored twice for the Owls and also scored the lone shoot-out goal of the night, sealing the victory for the Owls.

Both of Brewer’s goals in regulation came on power plays in the second period. The first goal was made possible by his physical presence in front of the net, battling his way to a rebound and tucking a shot past the Flames goaltender.

Through some great team passing, Brewer was able to score his second power play goal shortly before the end of the second period. Owls’ freshman forward Cody Vassa led Brewer with a great pass allowing him to easily fire the puck in the net for a goal.

On his goal scoring however, Brewer brushed off the credit, and gave it to the team as a whole.

“They were all just hard work goals,” Brewer said. “Vassa set me up beautifully on the one, I mean everyone has just bought into our system and it’s starting to show, we’re just dominating teams now, and that’s just how we’re scoring, hard work.”

With the score tied at five at the end of regulation and a five minute four-on-four overtime period, the game went into a shoot-out to determine the victor. Owls’ junior goaltender Chris Mullen stopped all five shooters that he faced. However, with the Owls also unsuccessful in their first four attempts, head coach Jerry Roberts sent out Brewer to take the next shot, who buried it into the top right corner to win the game.
“I actually planned to go five-hole,” Brewer said. “But he didn’t move, so when I saw him drop his shoulder I just put it right there.”
“It was a huge night for him,” Roberts said. “I said before earlier in the year I really think he [Brewer] is one of our most underrated players, he goes about his business very quietly and shows up for the big games when they count.”
Brewer also notched the game winner in a penalty shoot-out against Lehigh University earlier in the year. And when asked if Roberts was going to use Brewer as one of his first three shooters in a penalty shoot-out from now on, Roberts laughed and said, “Probably.”
Samuel Matthews can be reached at samuel.matthews@temple.edu.