Bring on spring

Winter is not over yet, but the dull blacks and grays are already making room for light, frothy colors. The tweeds and wools are quickly being replaced with chiffons and cottons. Heavy, cluttered fabrics and

Winter is not over yet, but the dull blacks and grays are already making room for light, frothy colors. The tweeds and wools are quickly being replaced with chiffons and cottons. Heavy, cluttered fabrics and lines are giving way to clean cuts and feminine touches. Like every spring, style has again been recycled and redefined, and in some cases, reinvented.

This season will enthrone the light pastel shades of colors like blue and brown, according to a Wall Street Journal article. Pink has fallen off the charts after running for six seasons. Colors like green have seemed to gain new popularity, which started last fall, according to the article.

“Baby blues and sea-foam greens have replaced the pinks,” said Jennifer Ramsay of EchoChic Boutique in Rittenhouse Square French Quarter. “Peach and cream are going to be really hot this summer.”

Loreanny Medina, a sophomore, has already started stocking up on summer wear. “I stick to springy greens and yellows, light pastels,” she said. Everything about this season is clean and subtle.

“It’s about being pretty and standing out at the same time,” said Shikha Jaisinghani, a recent business graduate. Chain stores like Old Navy and Urban Outfitters have cute tank tops with lace and ribbon accents. Ramsay said that women’s tops with woven leather wooden buttons are going to be in this season.

“Accents like lace, wood and satin are subtle, yet make an impression,” said Jaisinghani.

For the more adventurous, retro prints are making a comeback this season. Accompanied with singular pieces of jewelry like long single-pendant necklaces and chunky earrings, the retro look is perfect for making a statement.

“We’re gonna have a combination of both retro and feminine looks,” said Terry Hart, general manager of Bang Bang Boutique at the King of Prussia Mall. A bold flower-printed flare skirt paired up with a peach lace top creates a balanced look.

“No animal prints for me; I think people have transgressed from that,” she said.

Gauri Navalkar, a salesperson at The Gallery’s Perfumania, thinks that people are also switching fragrances with seasons.

“‘Be Delicious’ the new fragrance by DKNY is the freshest fragrance for spring. It has been selling so well,” she said. Bath & Body Works and The Body Shop have great selections of fruity and floral fragrances for the summer. Navalkar believes that certain trends from winter will stay.

“Fall made ponchos so popular that they will stick around for spring as well,” she said.

Short shoulder wraps and ponchos in satins, lace and transparent fabrics are being mixed and matched heavily with jeans and skirts. Metallic bags and belts, made popular last winter, will also be popular this spring.

“Great shades of corals and metallic peaches and creamy whites are totally hot,” Ramsay said

After Carrie Bradshaw’s exploits with Manolo Blahniks in Sex and the City, footwear has universally gained a higher status than before. Shoes have become an equally important fashion statement.

“There are so many new trends in shoes, it’s unbelievable,” said Naja Wigglesworth, a sophomore and salesperson at Aerosoles. Colors like lavenders, tangerines and canary yellows that would previously make women shudder before stepping into them are the newest sensation. “Wedges and open-toed sandals with colored stones on them are utterly divine,” Wigglesworth said. Women once hunted for the perfect red stiletto to match their little black dress. The trends have now reversed and women are clamoring to shop for outfits to match their shoes.

Spring fashion promises to be just as aesthetically-pleasing as the season. From the wide array of colors and styles available, expressing individuality has become easier, classier and fun.

Jinal Shah can be reached at jshah28@yahoo.com