Business and arts rank high in national report

The U.S. News & World Report ranked Tyler and Fox in its Best Colleges list. In the latest U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges report, Fox School of Business and Tyler School of Art

tyleraccred_news_apr03_indirajimenez_03
INDIRA JIMENEZ TTN Tyler School of Art’s fine arts graduate program earned a No. 13 ranking in the recent U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges list.

The U.S. News & World Report ranked Tyler and Fox in its Best Colleges list.

In the latest U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges report, Fox School of Business and Tyler School of Art have secured high rankings.

Both Fox’s graduate and undergraduate programs have placed well in the national rankings. Fox’s full-time MBA program rose 11 places since last year, reaching No. 52.

Tyler’s fine arts graduate program came in at No. 13 nationally, rising one spot since the U.S. News & World Report last ranked arts programs in 2008. Five of Tyler’s graduate specialties have placed in the Top 20 of their categories this year.

Moshe Porat, Ph.D., dean of Fox, said these rankings bolster Temple’s national reputation.

“Multiple and consistent rankings across Temple, as we have seen most recently in Fox School, Temple Law and Tyler School of Art, continue to enhance our collective reputation as one of the nation’s great urban universities,” Porat said. “We constantly strive to make [student’s] degrees increase in value. The continued national recognition we receive shows that we are delivering on that pledge.”

Hester Stinnett, vice dean and graduate program director of Tyler, said she hopes that these ranking will benefit the entire Temple community.

“What we hope is that this ranking will increase Temple’s overall visibility – that it will shine a light on all of the great programs that Temple offers,” she said. “That is one thing that rankings can do and all of Temple will really benefit.”

Stinnett welcomes Tyler’s high placement, but notes the importance of considering other factors as well.

“While we are incredibly proud of our recognition, I believe that rankings, such as the U.S. News’ Best Colleges, are just one way of viewing a school,” she said. “I would encourage any student to come and speak with the faculty, staff and current students to see if it’s truly a match for them.”

Porat agreed and further stressed the importance of focusing on objective, student-centric criteria and cautions against relying too heavily on national rankings.

“Rankings are a means of validation, but they are just one aspect of measuring quality,” he said. “The more rankings relate to students, such as measuring input and output data like job placement and salary, the more they accurately reflect quality and performance.”

Job placement after graduation is of great concern to many students and Porat points to this as a major contributor to Fox’s success.

“In 2010, 91 percent of graduating seniors who utilized the services of our Center for Student Professional Development landed full-time jobs,” Porat said. “Our 2011 placement rate for full-time and international MBA students was just as impressive: 95.3 percent within three months of graduation.”

Stinnett attributed Tyler’s success to its renowned faculty members.

“All of our faculty have played a major role in helping our students, as well as achieving in their fields. Their expertise and level of accomplishment in their fields are very important to our placement in the rankings,” she said. “Tyler has a history of being ranked high nationally and our faculty are a big part of that.”

Porat said this consistency of placement for Temple’s programs in the U.S. News & World Report, year after year, is telling.

“Being continuously ranked well has a correlation with improved performance,” he said. “If rankings measure objective criteria, they can further validate your efforts.”

Porat echoes this sentiment, telling of how Fox is aiming for the stars.

“Bigger and better things can be expected,” he said. “We strive to be a top public-urban business school in the country and among one of the leading business schools in the world.”

John Dailey can be reached at john.dailey@temple.edu.