CD Review

Trick Daddy Thug Holiday (Slip-N-Slide/Atlantic) Trick Daddy, Liberty City’s favorite son, is not a man to rest on past success, or evidently to even slow down. Since 1997, Trick Daddy has spent more time in

Trick Daddy
Thug Holiday
(Slip-N-Slide/Atlantic)

Trick Daddy, Liberty City’s favorite son, is not a man to rest on past success, or evidently to even slow down.

Since 1997, Trick Daddy has spent more time in the recording studio then most of us have in class.

A consistently strong performer and craftsmen, Trick’s latest work, Thug Holiday, remains true to his previously proven talents.

Thug Holiday may contain a few glitches, but with an impressive cast of guest-rappers (including Big Boi, Cee-Lo, and Tre+6), the album is a frenetic stew of hardcore rap, dirty rap and Daddy’s own blend of hometown dirty south.

The title track is a cynical and in-your-face jump-off to a well-produced and well-placed album.

Almost every subsequent song maintains the power and edge that is established early on, and the album never loses its energy.

“All I Need” and “Money & Drugs” are both standouts as possible hip-hop anthems, both done in collaboration with Infa Red.

The reining overlord of the southern rappers also serves up more mass audience music with tracks like “Play No Games” and the unusual but haunting “God’s Been Good.”

After five years and five albums, and no sign of slowing down or mellowing, Trick Daddy maintains stranglehold on his niche of hip-hop/rap.

– Matthew Ray