CD Reviews

Tahiti 80 Wallpaper For the Soul (Minty Fresh) Tahiti 80 recently released their second album of Parisian pop, entitled Wallpaper For the Soul. This effort is an attempt to be artsy and abstract. “It’s a

Tahiti 80
Wallpaper For the Soul
(Minty Fresh)

Tahiti 80 recently released their second album of Parisian pop, entitled Wallpaper For the Soul.

This effort is an attempt to be artsy and abstract.

“It’s a definition of all music,” said frontman Xavier Boyer about the album title.

“‘Imagine your heart as a house. Music is a way to decorate, to bring colors to your life.”

If Boyer’s statement is actually the truth and not the ravings of a man suffering from psychotic episodes, then Tahiti 80 needs to put down the guitars and immediately hire a redecorator.

Meaningless lyrics and boring melodies clutter this entire album.

Every song strains and begs to be labeled as “deep” and “meaningful,” but only succeeds at being “painful” and “uninspired.”

The title track is simply awful. Immediately following, tracks veer strongly into mindless happiness and chanting, as if the band went hog wild on Prozac.

Yet even when the songs are meant to be light and uplifting, Boyer’s spooky vocals manage to only depress and disturb.

Not since summer camp talent shows and coffeehouse open-mic nights, has the idea of deafness actually seemed so desirable.

– Matthew Ray

Dana Glover
Testimony
(DreamWorks)

Dana Glover may not want to automatically point out her Southern roots, but after listening to her debut album Testimony, you can’t help but notice her slight Southern lilt and the effects of being raised on old-school soul and gospel.

Songs like the album’s opener “Rain” and “The Way,” have a strong gospel sound, thanks to Glover’s tremendous voice and the chorus backing her up.

But what keeps this small-town Southern girl from sounding like she should be on a Christian radio station is the spunk she gives all 11 tracks on Testimony.
The songs have an alive and boisterous feel that is generally only found in true rock ‘n’ roll.

Glover’s sound is definitely not for everyone.

It should really be kept for those with a more refined ear, who can appreciate her fine mix of gospel, soul and funk, and listen in awe to her amazing pipes that seem to hit all the high notes with ease.

– Matthew Ray