CD REVIEWS

UK Gold Retuned (Prime) For those who appreciate chill-out albums such as Nirvana Lounge or the Ministry of Sound Chill Out Annual’ UK Gold’s debut album’ Retuned’ is a choice listen. Chris MacCormack’ the creative

UK Gold
Retuned
(Prime)

For those who appreciate chill-out albums such as Nirvana Lounge or the Ministry of Sound Chill Out Annual’ UK Gold’s debut album’ Retuned’ is a choice listen.

Chris MacCormack’ the creative force behind UK Gold’ starts with simple beats’ infuses them with aurally pleasing vocals’ a hint of jazz and occasional tribal rhythms.

Retuned begins with a hypnotic ambient track ‘At the Break of Dawn.’ From here the album takes listeners on a joyride of ups and downs.

The up-tempo beats of ‘Arise’ and ‘Amazulu Booty’ make these tracks very danceable’ while ‘In Fever’ In Fear’ and ‘Mechanical Mover’ make for more laid-back listening.

Retuned is a great album that can be enjoyed after a night of dancing’ while you sit around and work on classwork’ or even when you have some friends over for a late-night chill-out session.

– John Mortimer

Various Artists
Being Black
(Spun)

The musical companion to Zen Buddhist priest Angel Kyodo Williams’ book ‘Being Black’ is a journey through the vast style and soul of classic hip-hop.

Well-known artists from the underground hip-hop scene emphasize self-love and black consciousness on this album through chill instrumentation and lyrics.

Excerpts from Williams’ book of universal truths accent the album’s tracks.

‘Forever and a Day’ features Mystic’s soulful vocals over blazing beats and drum lines.

Dilated Peoples’ “Pay Attention” transcends mainstream music’ with serious scratching and old-school sampling.

“Love of the Game'” featuring Baby Blak and Pauly Yamz’ is a favored track from Philly-native DJ Jazzy Jeff.

The jazz-infused “One-4-Teen” features Philly’s Bahamadia’s renowned rhyming skills.

For those who appreciate brilliant composition’ variety’ pulse and just straight-up good music’ this album offers an enlightening break from the monotony of radio.

Being Black is a must-have for any avid hip-hop fan.

– Kim Bowser