Changes for the better

When moving into a Temple University dorm, students can depend on receiving a number of items: a lanyard that’ll probably never be worn, a key that is sure to be lost at least once and

When moving into a Temple University dorm, students can depend on receiving a number of items: a lanyard that’ll probably never be worn, a key that is sure to be lost at least once and the “Guide to Residential Life”, a publication filled with more information than will probably be read.

While flipping through the manual, students will find a calendar of student events and valuable coupons, as well as a long list of policies and procedures that will hopefully remain for informational purposes only.

This semester, a number of new university policies and procedures have been implemented.

It is highly recommended that students make themselves familiar with the basics of these new regulations.

For those that may have already misplaced the guide or “accidentally” thrown it out, the following are two of the most commonly abused rules on campus.

Guest Policy

Perhaps the most dreaded policy for dorm goers, this policy places a three-person limit on the number of guests allowed at a time.

Each guest must present photo identification with the resident’s guest card when entering the building.

The cards are returned only upon exit.

Every time someone is signed into the building, the guest’s name, the resident’s name and the resident’s room number are logged in the building’s records.

This tracking system helps security know who is in the building at all times.

In cases of emergency evacuation, everyone must be accounted for.

Also, in the unfortunate incidences of theft or defamation, authorities must know who was present.

According to Temple policy, no guest can stay signed in “for a period of time not to exceed two consecutive days and not more than three overnight periods in a seven-day period.”

A guest cannot stay any longer even if signed in by a different host. All violators will be fined $10 per day.

A lost guest card requires a $20 fee for replacement.

Most dorms, with the exception of Temple Towers, only allow 10 people in a room at one time. Though frustrating at times, these policies are in place to ensure student safety.

Alcohol Policy

According to Pennsylvania State Law and Temple policy, no one under the age of 21 may consume, transport or even be in the presence of alcohol.

However, those that are of age and living in the dorms are subject to a few new rules. Each student must register all alcohol at the front desk and present his or her ID for proof of age.

In addition, no kegs or beer/party balls – whether full, empty or anywhere in between – are allowed. If found with either one, expect a $200 fine.

Finally, Temple University and the commonwealth of Pennsylvania have devised a chart for measuring the amount of alcohol that can be consumed.

According to the alcohol policy, no one can consume more than the “acceptable amount” within a seven-day period.
Why so many new rules?

“The number of alcohol-related hospital visits and student deaths on campuses across the country has called for a serious change in policy,” said a student who works for University Housing and wished to remain anonymous.

In other words, play it smart, and be sure to space out those dorm parties.

As with other policies and procedures, the University reserves the right to update and/or change anything throughout the year.

For more information, be sure to visit https://policies.temple.edu.

Michelle Nicoletto can be reached at mnic@temple.edu.