Charity reunites local band

Bands come and go. Many have been around for years. For every Rolling Stones, however, there is a band like Kid Dynamite who broke up before reaching their full potential. Kid Dynamite fans are in

Bands come and go. Many have been around for years.

For every Rolling Stones, however, there is a band like Kid Dynamite who broke up before reaching their full potential.

Kid Dynamite fans are in luck, however, as they have decided to reunite in the name of charity for three shows at the First Unitarian Church on April 11, 12 and 13.

The three shows completely sold out in less than two days, which just goes to show that Kid Dynamite may well be one of the more popular area bands you’ve never heard of.

Kid Dynamite formed in ’97 from the ashes of several well-known area groups, including Lifetime.

During their two-year existence, they played numerous shows, recorded two full-length albums for Jade Tree Records, and generally made their presence felt.

The group’s tenure ended abruptly in 1999 with the departure of vocalist Jason Shevchuk.

The decision for the reunion came when their friend Mark Beemer, whose wife passed away of cancer, asked them if they would be interested in doing these shows to benefit the Syrentha J. Savio Endowment Fund, with the goal of raising $50,000 toward cancer research.

The band instantly embraced Beemer’s idea.

“He asked us to play, and no one hesitated,” said drummer David Wagenschutz.

Those lucky enough to have gotten tickets should be in for a real treat.

Wagenschutz said the group intends to play songs primarily off of their first self-titled LP. Strike Anywhere, from Richmond Va., and The Curse, a local group playing their last shows, will open on Friday and Saturday.

Greyarea, another defunct band reuniting for one time only, and Trial By Fire, playing their last show, will fill the opening slots on Sunday.

Special merchandise, including shirts and posters, will be on sale with all proceeds going to the charity.

For those who got shut out of tickets, never fear. Wagenschutz and guitar player Dan Yemin have a new band called Paint It Black with a CD due out this summer.

Shevchuk now sings in None More Black, who have also just finished a record. Also, Kid Dynamite will be releasing a B-sides and rarities CD this fall.

Kid Dynamite will perform at the First Unitarian Church, 2125 Chestnut St., with Strike Anywhere and The Curse on April 11 and 12. With Greyarea and Trial By Fire on April 13.

Call 215-563-3980 for more info and visit www.syrentha.org to learn more about the Syrentha J. Savio Endowment Fund.

Chuck Delross can be reached at Chaluchy@aol.com.